royalgh

Singer 45K64

Hello, I have Singer 45k64 for a while but canot find manuals for this model anywhere. When I get this machine it was standard foot which I change later with rollfoot, but plate and feetdog are damaged. 

I will appreciate if someone can say something more about these model and his original purpose. Also I wish to know is it posible to upgrade walking foot on this model. 

Thank you in advance. 

Well my first "rule of thumb" is, restore it and use it as it was originally built.  So if the machine started as a 45k64 then it should be used and restored as such.  I only recommend this because to change or modify a machine is a considerable amount of work if it is possible at all.  Finding the correct parts to just get a Singer45k running again can also be a challenge.  So rather than putting in all that effort into a Frankenstein  your better off just looking for the correct machine for your projects. 

That is a very nice looking machine, it may not be a walking foot, but a roller foot machine is also very good. I suspect it is close cousin to the 45k53 machine?  But I will leave that to the others to figure out.  Depending on what your project is that would be a very good medium weight leather machine.  Plus that treadle is a rare one, I would buy the machine just for that (depending on the price).  Nice find.

Hi, the 45k64 was a drop feed cylinder bed, lifting presser foot. for stitching boot soles to welted uppers. fitted with spirit heating apparatus for heating the shuttle when stitching with prepared wax thread. supersedes 45k55 machine. (formerly known as 45k.s.v. 49)

i have uploaded this information in an older topic. you can see this information in the book from 1907. i do not think you will find a manual for your specific machine but rather a general threading/oiling etc.. manual for flatbed or cylinder arm machines. looks like you are missing the lift to your foot? all the best.

Edited by jimi

16 hours ago, jimi said:

Hi, the 45k64 was a drop feed cylinder bed, lifting presser foot. for stitching boot soles to welted uppers. fitted with spirit heating apparatus for heating the shuttle when stitching with prepared wax thread. supersedes 45k55 machine. (formerly known as 45k.s.v. 49)

i have uploaded this information in an older topic. you can see this information in the book from 1907. i do not think you will find a manual for your specific machine but rather a general threading/oiling etc.. manual for flatbed or cylinder arm machines. looks like you are missing the lift to your foot? all the best.

Hi jimi, can you tell me about lift for foot, I am not sure what you mean

the 45k64 would have probably been superseded by the 45k68 or 45k71. these were the 45k class for sewing boot soles, like the old 64. they had a foot that lifted to enable you to pass over various thicknesses of leather. there would be a lifting cam on the thread take up cam which would lift the presser bar or the foot if you like. here are a couple of 45k64s where you can see the wax arrangement and the spring and gripping bracket. the last picture is the foot and throat plate on a 45k64 that appeared on the 45k68 and 45k71. the parts list book for the 45k68,69,71 is from 1927 so possibly your machine will be from around there?? what is your serial nº?

5a677fe5df25e_download(3).thumb.png.70498c3cfd1ee0d80aa89d461a749a21.png

Singer45K64_n3.jpg.fa40a10eeacbf3591a0c622523c3e220.jpgSinger45K64_n4.jpg.5e12dcd915c9260ccc828d1d848fa727.jpgIMG_7353d.jpg.d0e1f6b20001d47af262b0b5734dfe1a.jpg

have a look here.

Edited by jimi

Thank you Jimi, now I understand much beter, i saw earlier photos with lift mechanism but dont know how it works. 

Serial number of my 45k is less visible (some numbers), I will try to see again and post it.