Popo425

How to clean mildew off

So my wife has stored her horse tack in the shed outside that is getting more moisture than we thought. A lot of her gear has this white mildew that I want to clean off before it gets worse. What would you guys use to fix this and other than move the gear inside the house, are there any products that could help prevent this in the future? The leather was in good shape, conditioned, and relatively new. 

Thanks in advance. 

-Mike

OpaV5bsb-38031065.jpg

Edited by Popo425

I’m thinking take a horse hair brush and get the crap off then go find you some Aussie leather conditioner from fiebings and get that stuff on their and do it every 2 months or so. FYI Tandy sells it and they have a website that sells it. Plus brush off weekly if not daily to keep clean. This product waterproofs the leather completely and works great!

Edited by Carson
Because I ducked up

I will try that. Thank you

Clean it outside, don't let the mildew and any possible mold spores contaminate other leather.  Clean the shed out well too.  Bleach will work on the shed.

Tom

I bought some leather and tools as part of an estate  and everything was exposed to mold and mildew.  I took the shearling, veg-tan and upholstery hides and used a brush to get the loose stuff off.

I then used a 50-50 lemon juice/water mix and a sponge to wash the leather, front and back, followed by a sponge rinse (except the shearling which was the back only).  I didn't soak it, just lightly to kill the loose stuff that might be left.

After they had dried very well, I laid them all out so air could get to both sides and turned on an Ozone generator for about 3-4 hours.

6 months later I still can not see or smell any mildew.

Be very careful to do all of this except the ozzone treatment, outside and wear gloves and a mask.