Sign in to follow this  
ke6cvh

needle position sensor on a harness machine

Hello group,  We are using a recently overhauled circa 1915 Singer 45k1 allot lately and love the machine for heavy type work with webbing, canvas, and denim.  I took the low road and got a locally available 750w brushless servo as the price was just over 100 dollars in this country.  It is nice enough but I've seen problems with this band of motor wanting to chug along at the lowest speed.  Lots of messing around got it to work properly again and I noted the problem went away when I messed with the needle up/down button.  My assumption is that the circuit board/microcontroller circuitry is confused thinking it needs a sensor input so it is hunting and waiting for the sensor to tell it to stop.  This was partially confirmed by shorting two pins on same connector as the sensor resetting it.   So I spent under 20 US dollars (850 pesos) and got a sensor and hooked it up.  Well the motor no longer gets confused with the up/down sensor button.  However the heavier weight of the flywheel allows it to freewheel past the up or down position hahaha.  Inertia and needle position sensors just don't seem to be made for one another.  I thought this motor had a brake on it like the ones that Bob Kovar sells but it seems to not be the case.  Anyone have similar humorous but not so good experience with motor position sensors?  Best regards, Mike