Evo160K

What do you think about this Singer 45K69

Al, have you tried cranking up the tension little by little on both units??

Thanks Wiz, very clear explanation.  I will get the 6 cord, and yes, I have 25 and 26 leatherpoint needles.

Since the seller knew nothing about sewing, and I couldn't test the machine, I couldn't check shuttle timing, which I'm beginning to suspect.  The mechanics instructions I have are a bit unclear on shuttle timing....to me that is.  I'll post a couple of pictures for comments.

Hi Jimi, no I haven't done much with the tension other than set them to feel about the way I set the K25 and K53.  The thread is staying taunt until just before the point reaches the needle plate, and last night a small loop was forming, but the shuttle seemed to pass just below it.  Like I told Wiz, I suspect shuttle timing.......I'll post pics.

Thank you both for hanging in with me, I'm grateful.

A number 26 (220) needle is iffy for 6 cord linen thread. It really calls for a #27 (250). You might need to limit your machine to 5 cord thread, or buy some #27 leather point needles.

Thank you Wiz, Folker, Jimi, thank you very much.  You guys sure know your machines.  Like I've said several times in the past, if it weren't for you, I'd never attempt to restore these old machines.

So I asked the local, retired gentleman who maintained 300 or so machines for a local tent, awning and flag company to come by and take a look.  He's helped me with the other three machines.....Singer 45K25, 45K53 and the Claes shoepatcher.  The timing was off and of course the tension. It's sewing well now.   Here's what it looked like before he adjusted the timing.  The piece of paper is 4.5 mm up and down, and the needle is a No. 24 Schmetz leather point..

IMG_5122.JPG    BDCIMG_5123.JPG  TDC

You'll recognize immediately the shuttle point was way below the scarf, but also I though the shuttle needed to be adjusted as well, which I wasn't sure how to do.  That' and I wanted the machine checked over.  Also I couldn't get the handwheel off, I was afraid to pull or pry on the cast iron.  He put a piece of wood into the inspection hole and jammed the crankshaft while he rotated and pulled on the handwheel....came off right away, no sweat.  He also told me when I put oil in the oil hole for the crankshaft, I should rotate the handwheel until the wick in the cap of the connecting rod is directly under the oil hole, so the wick will move the oil to the crankshaft bearing.  He said most machines are made with an oil wick in the crankshaft cap. Those Singer engineers were sure clever!.

IMG_5124.JPG  IMG_5125.JPG

Now that it's sewing, I'll go ahead and clean it.

Jimi, what is that "diluted paint thinner" you use to remove those outer layers of paint?

Thanks again all.

Edited by Evo160K

Good to see that it works fine Al. i used universal dissolvent, i am sure you have that over in the states. it is what you use to thin down varnish and the likes?? not turps.

Thank you Jimi, thank you very much.  All the best.

Jimi, I'm seeing where mineral spirits rather than turps is often used to thin varnishes, minerals spirits is less expensive and has less odor than turps.  Is mineral spirits what you used?

When are you going to sell me a pair of your sandals for my wife?

5 hours ago, Evo160K said:

When are you going to sell me a pair of your sandals for my wife?

I´m sure your wife would be very pleased if hubby would make some sandals for her - how is that? ;) Don´t say you don´t have the machines for that :lol:

Funny Folker, very funny.  ;)   You obviously haven't seen my sewing.  Yes I have the machines, but not the skills.  Jimi has the skills and the talent.  I think she would prefer that.

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I´m sure your wife would be very pleased if hubby would make some sandals for her - how is that? ;) Don´t say you don´t have the machines for that :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

6 hours ago, Evo160K said:

Funny Folker, very funny.  ;)   You obviously haven't seen my sewing.  Yes I have the machines, but not the skills.  Jimi has the skills and the talent.  I think she would prefer that.

I wish i did have the talent and the skill Al lol.. when i get the machine rolling again i will let you know. we were going to try a new type sole first, it has a thin sheet of foam under to help keep things soft. when i try one and it works good i will let you know Al. not sure about mineral spirits though?? the dissolvent is pretty strong? but not as strong as paint stripper. i would use this for thinning for example nitrocellulose varnish and the likes. and would work for thinning oil based paints. hope this helps?

Hi Folker, Jimi,

Folker, yes of course it was a joke and a funny one at that.......I laughed.  Mine was supposed to be as well.  Everything's cool.

Jimi, that's fine, looking forward to your new design, good luck with it.

Jimi, I'm having trouble finding something called universal dissolvent or dissolvent.  Is that a product name or a generic reference?  Thanks Jimi.

That is what it is called over here Al Dissolvente Universal, maybe Acetone would be the equivalent?? not 100% sure?? maybe something like this..

https://www.caramba.eu/en/products/universal-cellulose-thinner-with-acetone-ready-to-use/

Thanks Jimi, I'll track it down over here.

Got the K69 mounted on the treadle for testing, worked well.  Not sure about the length of the stitches yet, they seem to be about 1/4 inch so far.  Since there are no decals at all, I'm just going to sand the paint smooth and spray it with the Krylon Appliance Epoxy, that I used on the treadle.  It dried very hard and very black, so far I'm pleased with it.  Japanning and baking the heavy machine head is just too difficult in my electric kitchen oven.  I will finish japanning the k25 head since the other parts are finished.  Just need to get my motivation for it back.  Been so cold around here, it's not too comfortable in the garage.

Thanks again Jimi.

10 hours ago, Evo160K said:

Got the K69 mounted on the treadle for testing, worked well.  Not sure about the length of the stitches yet, they seem to be about 1/4 inch so far.

DSC_0278.thumb.JPG.ca0783e3222aacbbb128ddb12e02cb62.JPG

Ha ha! spot on Al..

That's good to know.  Thanks Jimi.

shit, sorry Al, just looked back at the scans and saw that this page is not there???:blink:i must have missed that one? my apologies.

Thanks Jimi, I'll add it.  Jimi, you don't ever need to apologize to me, as far as I'm concerned, you can do no wrong.

Sorry to unearth an old thread but I’m looking at getting a restored 45k69 and was wondering if the stitch length can be adjusted? I see where it says “up to 1/4”. Can it be made shorter? 

1 hour ago, 4squareleather said:

Sorry to unearth an old thread but I’m looking at getting a restored 45k69 and was wondering if the stitch length can be adjusted? I see where it says “up to 1/4”. Can it be made shorter? 

Absolutely! There is a lever with a large thumbscrew that rides in a long vertical slot on the upper front right side of the body. Move the lever up to shorten the stitches and vice versa. Tighten the screw to hold the stitch length.

45k67.jpg