BettyJ

Juki DSC 245-4 possible timing issue

Hi all

So I've been busily trying to get my backpack done and tonight, while sewing the lining, I heard a thunk from my machine. Thunks are never good. :(  I checked to see if the stitching was still all good, moved past it with a few hand winds and it was all fine until the next thunk. So I stopped to check again. I didn't see anything obvious so I finished the line of stitching without any more, thankfully. I pulled out my bobbin case to see what was going on and I noticed that my bobbin had little chunks taken out of it, as if my needle had hit it. Would kind of explain the thunking.

I checked to make sure my needle was positioned correctly, not on an angle and it was fine. I ran through a few tests with it, nothing. I though, maybe it was a one off so I started to sew again and it did it again. Now I'm a bit freaked out over it and don't want to use the machine anymore tonight in case I damage it.

So I've never had this happen before and I'm wondering what could have caused it? Do I need a new bobbin case? It fits but maybe it's gotten old and wobbly. Should I have the guy out again (third time!) to check the timing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Betty

You probably started off with a crooked bobbin, just replace it and clean up the shuttle hook from any lint, and you should be good.

I have had sections or pieces of the project that are just a bit tough. These areas many times bend or push the needle enough to hit something other than their mark!  Usually like you mention, in my case a metalic part as the feed dog or the bobbin case on some machines. 

I have found myself checking the needle tip while installed after such an incident and thought it was fine? And shortly with another follow up issue. So then removed only to find a bur on the tip. What im saying is remove needle to inspect is the best method. Seems the first thunk it burs the tip then just bad needle direction. 

Floyd

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll go test it out this evening. I'm about to run off to work now. I just know I"ll be thinking about this all day. :(