ContactCement

What kind of leather and glue for a stacked handle? I made a stainless steel burnisher and need to complete my project.

I  made a heavy leather smoother using a thick stainless steel disc that weigh 1 lb 6 oz.  No metal lathe used the stainless steel disc was cut to size and had rough machining marks. I used wet dry sandpaper and granite surface plate to flatten it. The stainless steel was tough to drill and file tap. Yes it plugs a hand file easily use cheap ones. I cut the head off a bolt and put it into the drill press to sand and polish the edge.

Basically I've never made a stacked leather handle before. Before learning about veg tan leather I purchased a few bags tough dyed leather cut offs purchased from a hobby store with  40% coupons.  I would like to know if this other grab bag leather can be used for a stacked handle. Also what type of adhesives are best for stacked leather?

P1010022.JPG

P1010017.JPG

P1010018.JPG

Edited by ContactCement

Hmm, interesting. I would think they would work because you'll be using a sander to shape the handle correct? My only thing would be that if it is chrome tan it could effect the metal it touches. But that may not be a huge deal. 

I would think a good contact cement would work. But I can't really say, I haven't done it either. Maybe some epoxy? Just some thoughts. 

The big metal disc is 316 L stainless steel  and the bolt is just ordinary plated bolt.

I would say barge cement 

I'm hoping Sanch will chime in. I think he uses a drill and belt sander to turn his handles. They look perfect. I used barges for my gluing discs together.

4 hours ago, ContactCement said:

Basically I've never made a stacked leather handle before. Before learning about veg tan leather I purchased a few bags tough dyed leather cut offs purchased from a hobby store with  40% coupons.  I would like to know if this other grab bag leather can be used for a stacked handle. Also what type of adhesives are best for stacked leather?

Hobby Lobby!

The thread by Sanch was titled, New life for old swivel knife (pic heavy). Does anyone know how to copy a direct link to a thread?

@Mjolnir, is this it? 

i hope it is. 

I did some reading myself, I found one place said they use regular contact cement. Barge cement will work. Theycut the leather into square washers(round would work too) and threaded a bolt through them wet them and compressed them by tightening a nut on the bolt after wetting the leather. Then they let the washers dry. Next they added contact cement to the washers and stacked them on the handle. I guess the compression is meant to take any "slack" or sponge out of the leather so it stays put when the handle is in use. It was veg tan that was used too btw. 

That's it. There is always a way to get there from here. nice info Stetson. My best advice would be to start with a small handle for practice. This site needs an Historian, cause I know there is a tutorial buried here somewhere!

Haha, that would be quite a job. Oh, and to answer your question mjolnir, there is a share button that gives you the link to a post when you are viewing it. I just copied and pasted the link. 

I agree too, a smaller practice handle would be ideal. Even if it's just around a bolt or something. Oh! I bet you can make pens using this technique too.... I think my mind gears are grindin'

Would boiling or hot water make the washers tougher?

It could. I wouldn't recommend boiling water though. I did that once and ended up with a grotesque looking little black hockey puck, it doesn't take much.

A hot to the touch water would work I think, then dry in. Low oven.

The downside is that they may become brittle when hardened. I'm not sure that's what you will want. 

But you never know until you try it out. Use up some scrap bits and give it a try. 

Thanks for the help everyone. It sounds like I just need to seal and burnish the raw edges once the shaped leather handle reaches that stage. I  found this video later today.

Edited by ContactCement