Mjolnir

Question for a friend. How do you remove sticky stuff from suede?

A friend of mine found a designer suede jacket at a resale store. $20 for a $300 jacket. ( it reminded me of the ' Nasty Gal' story). It had a sticker mark on the front. Anyone know a gentle way to remove the glue?

PS Tell me It's ruined and maybe I can spend $20 bucks for some designer suede scrap :)

Edited by Mjolnir
ps

Ruint!!! :yeah:

Well, here's an idea. The bag I'm working on is sueded. I was going to use a brass wire brush to fluff it a little. But the client said leave it.

Maybe he can fluff it just enough to trim the sticky off of it?

Edited by bikermutt07

1 hour ago, Sledzep01 said:

freeze it then brush it. 

Sled

that's a great idea. I suppose a key board spray? When you turn them upside down they get wicked cold. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

that's a great idea. I suppose a key board spray? When you turn them upside down they get wicked cold. Thanks!

yeah, any bottled air will do that. Not sure how moist it might be though, your freezer will be dry for sure...

Let us know how it goes

23 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

PS Tell me It's ruined and maybe I can spend $20 bucks for some designer suede scrap :)

ok, it's ruined ;)

well, you said to tell you it was ruined lol

rubber cement eraser was my first thought too. When I was presented this question I had three solutions and paused. 'Heck if I know'. I didn't want her to damage it. Grannys spot remover may work. 'eraser' is where I would start. Tweezers? The freezing sounds like a solid idea I'll pass along.

My experience yesterday with some Renia stuff told me that once it gets "into" the suede, you are out of luck, but these other posts may have some merit. Let us know how it works out!

Jeff

do you have WD40 over there?

If so; soak a bit of rag with it and apply gently to the gummy bit; try not to saturate the suede, just the sticky. Working carefully the WD40 will dissolve it and remove it. Alternatives to WD40 do not work

2 hours ago, fredk said:

do you have WD40 over there?

If so; soak a bit of rag with it and apply gently to the gummy bit; try not to saturate the suede, just the sticky. Working carefully the WD40 will dissolve it and remove it. Alternatives to WD40 do not work

Wd40 is like Duct Tape in a spray can. That might work.

So many belie that is w lubricant and are wrong.

In case there are any questions.

wd40.jpg

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

wd40.jpg

:rofl: ... I literally laughed out loud when I saw this.  Thanks!!

@Sledzep01 is quite right.  WD40 does provide a bit of lubrication but that's not really what it is for.   It's pretty fascinating stuff.  Developed for Convair Astronautics in the 50's for the Atlas missile program.  They needed a product to prevent corrosion while missiles were in storage waiting to start / end WWIII.  The name comes from Water Displacement formula 40 (since apparently 1 through 39 didn't work as they wanted).   It didn't take long for folks to discover myriad other uses for the stuff, and was made available to consumers in 1958.

About 8 or 9 years ago, my bathroom door developed a nasty squeak, probably from the moist environment when taking showers.  It used to wake me up during the night when roommates went in and out.  Eventually I got tired of that, and give the hinges a spritz of WD40 but that didn't last too long.  So, I gave it a spritz again and followed it up with tri-flow lubricant.   Now, many years later not only are the hinges quiet, but the door needs a doorstop to keep the door from closing on its own.  Pretty amazing stuff.

- Bill

7 hours ago, billybopp said:

:rofl: ... I literally laughed out loud when I saw this.  Thanks!!

@Sledzep01 is quite right.  WD40 does provide a bit of lubrication but that's not really what it is for.   It's pretty fascinating stuff.  Developed for Convair Astronautics in the 50's for the Atlas missile program.  They needed a product to prevent corrosion while missiles were in storage waiting to start / end WWIII.  The name comes from Water Displacement formula 40 (since apparently 1 through 39 didn't work as they wanted).   It didn't take long for folks to discover myriad other uses for the stuff, and was made available to consumers in 1958.

About 8 or 9 years ago, my bathroom door developed a nasty squeak, probably from the moist environment when taking showers.  It used to wake me up during the night when roommates went in and out.  Eventually I got tired of that, and give the hinges a spritz of WD40 but that didn't last too long.  So, I gave it a spritz again and followed it up with tri-flow lubricant.   Now, many years later not only are the hinges quiet, but the door needs a doorstop to keep the door from closing on its own.  Pretty amazing stuff.

- Bill

Plus it works great for drying out points on old cars. Been saved by it many times.

PS the chart was great!!

Sled

Can be used to start cars with carburettors too. As a waterproofer on leather motorcycle boots, especially good on the soles

But seriously ; WD40 will remove label gum residue off almost anything. It will also take off chewing gum

10 hours ago, alpha2 said:

wd40.jpg

This is brilliant! Thanks guys for the advice. I would never have thought wd-40. I'm going to try this out myself. I'm not kidding. I didn't have enough data for a scientific method before. I'm going to stick some duct tape on some sued and WD-40 it, and of course drink a ( I'll stick with Bush) to celebrate.

PS Did you know that the lime, although it adds a nice tangy flavor and is great in the summertime, its main purpose is to keep the fly's off your beer?

9 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

This is brilliant! Thanks guys for the advice. I would never have thought wd-40. I'm going to try this out myself. I'm not kidding. I didn't have enough data for a scientific method before. I'm going to stick some duct tape on some sued and WD-40 it, and of course drink a ( I'll stick with Bush) to celebrate.

PS Did you know that the lime, although it adds a nice tangy flavor and is great in the summertime, its main purpose is to keep the fly's off your beer?

Wait???,, Your Beer has TIME to attract Fly's???

Sled

Just now, Sledzep01 said:

Wait???,, Your Beer has TIME to attract Fly's???

Sled

I bought a yeti mug! it might go flat but it stays cold all day.

Bush, or Busch? My trophy wife saw Lou Brock steal 104 and 105 in Busch Stadium. Good times. (She wasn't my wife then, trophy or otherwise.)

WAY off topic. In my just recently ended life in dental equipment repair, I had a tech say that he thought WD40 was the best lubricant ever. He sprayed some on some guides in a dental unit, and they slid perfectly for a while. Sadly, they needed the application regularly after that. I had to inform him that it was a solvent, mostly, and less than 25% oil. So, mostly, it was cleaning off the previous gunk, and dirt/dust that the previous application had attracted. The remaining lubricant had dried up and he was back to needing a good lube. Heck, 3 in 1 oil would have been better. He now understood why it was great, for a short time, then the cycle began again...

And I'd heard that the lime was to clean the rust off the mouth of the bottle, as the cheap steel bottle caps left a nasty rust ring on the bottle. No biggie, just looked bad, you know, for the tourists. Don't know...don't care, I drink Negra Modelo, exclusively, as a cerveza. Mexican beer snob. I'm so ashamed.

2 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Bush, or Busch? My trophy wife saw Lou Brock steal 104 and 105 in Busch Stadium. Good times. (She wasn't my wife then, trophy or otherwise.)

WAY off topic. In my just recently ended life in dental equipment repair, I had a tech say that he thought WD40 was the best lubricant ever. He sprayed some on some guides in a dental unit, and they slid perfectly for a while. Sadly, they needed the application regularly after that. I had to inform him that it was a solvent, mostly, and less than 25% oil. So, mostly, it was cleaning off the previous gunk, and dirt/dust that the previous application had attracted. The remaining lubricant had dried up and he was back to needing a good lube. Heck, 3 in 1 oil would have been better. He now understood why it was great, for a short time, then the cycle began again...

And I'd heard that the lime was to clean the rust off the mouth of the bottle, as the cheap steel bottle caps left a nasty rust ring on the bottle. No biggie, just looked bad, you know, for the tourists. Don't know...don't care, I drink Negra Modelo, exclusively, as a cerveza. Mexican beer snob. I'm so ashamed.

I guess my mind was wandering. I opened a new thread under Off Topic. ' Trivial Trivia'.