Sceaden

Flintlock Cover "Cow's Knee"

I finally completed this flintlock cover for my brother. The pattern is from Track of the Wolf, 3-4 oz veg tan lined with veg tan pigskin. 

The pattern is pulled from pictures of the stock of an original Pennsylvania long rifle made right here in Lancaster PA in the 18th century.

The tooling got a little out of it's bounds but this was a speed tooling prototype. 

IMG_20180104_133444_999.jpg

20180104_121525.jpg

Edited by Sceaden

Nice job!  Don't see these in use very often!

I like it...GOOD JOB

Thanks guys!

It's a relatively uncommon but very useful accessory. 

Historically there is almost nothing to go on as "lock covers" are referenced but not described and I don't think there are any surviving examples.

The idea with these covers is to create something that is accurate in design, materials, and style which didn't necessarily exist but could have. 

Here's a picture of it on my brother's longrifle.20180107_140907_001.thumb.jpg.53e4cd53243341fe9533359f1c0ad68e.jpg

Never heard of these. Is it for rain protection? Or maybe to keep the lock from getting banged up in a wagon?

Or maybe it's just a hillbilly safety.

Looks great.

Nice...

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

Never heard of these. Is it for rain protection? Or maybe to keep the lock from getting banged up in a wagon?

Or maybe it's just a hillbilly safety.

Looks great.

Main purpose is to keep rain and snow out of the primed flintlock - not conducive to quick shooting though!

2 hours ago, Sceaden said:

It's a relatively uncommon but very useful accessory. 

Historically there is almost nothing to go on as "lock covers" are referenced but not described and I don't think there are any surviving examples.

The idea with these covers is to create something that is accurate in design, materials, and style which didn't necessarily exist but could have. 

Track of the Wolf is a great muzzleloading supplier and they sell lock covers as well as patterns for lock covers.  See this link: https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/112/1/LOCK-COVER-L

Gary

I often wondered how the mechanism was keeped safe and dry. Know I know! 

A bit more on the history of these:

The name comes from the actual animal part used for making the original ones. You would skin out a cow's leg and tan the knee section without stretching it too much, so the "hump" was preserved. It has the perfect shape to fit over a flintlock. A good coating of tallow/beeswax/bear oil/lard (or combination thereof) made it  quite water resistant.

I've been out on an overnight trek where it rained about half the time we were in the woods and at the end my rifle went off without a hitch (we loaded blanks that time, as keeping it dry was part of the challenge)!

They are really handy when it snows while out hunting.

garypl: Mine is tied around the bottom in front of the triggerguard with a looped half hitch (like tying your shoes) and on the wrist with a square knot. I can untie the front and just pull the cow's knee back by the time I bring the gun up. Not quite as fast as without one, but better than not having the gun off at all ;)!

Nicely done, Sceaden!! Mine is just a piece of braintan stitched up and by now almost black from all the grease and powder residue.

Black Dogg

26 minutes ago, Black Dogg said:

A bit more on the history of these:

The name comes from the actual animal part used for making the original ones. You would skin out a cow's leg and tan the knee section without stretching it too much, so the "hump" was preserved. It has the perfect shape to fit over a flintlock. A good coating of tallow/beeswax/bear oil/lard (or combination thereof) made it  quite water resistant.

I've been out on an overnight trek where it rained about half the time we were in the woods and at the end my rifle went off without a hitch (we loaded blanks that time, as keeping it dry was part of the challenge)!

They are really handy when it snows while out hunting.

garypl: Mine is tied around the bottom in front of the triggerguard with a looped half hitch (like tying your shoes) and on the wrist with a square knot. I can untie the front and just pull the cow's knee back by the time I bring the gun up. Not quite as fast as without one, but better than not having the gun off at all ;)!

Nicely done, Sceaden!! Mine is just a piece of braintan stitched up and by now almost black from all the grease and powder residue.

Black Dogg

The last time I hunted with my flintlock was about 35 years ago.  When I did go into the woods, I normally used heavy grease around the frizzen and pan to keep the moisture out.  Also used 3F instead of 4F powder for priming.

Yeah, that works, too. I always put a dab of grease right in front of the lock between the barrel and stock to keep any water from creeping through the small gap there.

I quit using 4F, too, about ten years ago. I just prime from my horn with 3F, never had a problem yet.

I've shot more deer with my flinter than with my modern gun. You should get yours back out again, even if it's just for some target shooting. They are fun to play around with, that's for sure!

Black Dogg

Thanks for the great description and background! I'm sure yours is much more historically accurate than mine but who knows, maybe rich, flashy military men would have had a cover like this.

The single strap holds it securely but you can still easily rotate it off to the side to rapidly fire.