Mjolnir

trivial trivia

So what does the '33' on the back of a Rolling Rock beer, represent?

33 different spices and herbs?

All I know is that making Rolling Rock beer commercials smell way better than budweiser commercials. Those shoes were ruined. 

Wrong. but as a former art director, I'm intrigued! Just like I know from experience that LeAnn Rimes wears tiny shoes that her finger toes hang out of.

Last I knew, there are several stories about Rolling Rock's 33 ... but since the brewer who originally had it put on his bottles is long gone .. we may never know.

- Bill

according to a friend "Google knows all, Wikipedia explains all". but apparently thats not the case with this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Rock#Number_33

Edit: I hope you're proud of yourself, I was helplessly compelled to google LeAnn Rimes shoes, whats my wife gonna think when she sees that auto populate on the google search field?!? lol

Edited by Jake907

10 hours ago, billybopp said:

Last I knew, there are several stories about Rolling Rock's 33 ... but since the brewer who originally had it put on his bottles is long gone .. we may never know.

- Bill

I never bought into, there are 33 words on the back of the bottle. The best answer in my opinion has always been that 1933 is the year that prohibition ended.

My Dad's family are from near Latrobe.  I think Rock was the first beer that I ever tasted.  Dad gave me a taste of the beer that he was drinking when I was six or so years old.  I still remember thinking "'How on earth could anybody like this stuff" .. much like I did with coffee.   Now I can't imagine how I didn't like it, and subscribe to the notion that "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"  (often attributed incorrectly to Ben Franklin, who did actually say something similar about wine).   :P

- Bill 

PS .. These days my favored everyday brew is another great Pennsylvania beer, Yuengling Lager. 

I like Modelo Especial. And I have that Franklin quote on my motorcycle jacket.

I didn't know it was a misquote.

"Old Nr. 7 Brand" is another one lost to the ages.

And, Mutt, Negro Modelo is their best beer, shocked you don't know that! :rolleyes2:

Jeff

I always thought it was the year prohibition ended, also!

My newest repurpose is for Lucky Buddha beer bottles. It tastes like Heineken so, eh, I can drink it, but I can also drain it. It is in a green bottle shaped like a Buddha. I've found them locally. These bottles are selling on ebay for more than a six pack!

20180128_160324_resized.jpg

Edited by Mjolnir
add

Just for fun google... elgoog.

Edited by Mjolnir

A local restaurant uses Buddha bottles for soy sauce. Never seen them with actual beer in them.

Remember those wooden barrels that had a cork in the side? As a kid I found it amusing what the hole was called and also the tool used to make it. Anybody know?

PS did anyone 'google'... elgoog? always liked that one.

12 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

Remember those wooden barrels that had a cork in the side? As a kid I found it amusing what the hole was called and also the tool used to make it. Anybody know?

PS did anyone 'google'... elgoog? always liked that one.

Bung?

garypl for the win! Of course, anybody that has eve visited a winery would know that. And anybody that has visited, um, many wineries...would of course, know. Just sayin'.

And, yep, I had to google elgoog. I'll never get that time back. At my age, that means something. Kinda like when the oldsters tell you when you're young, "trust me, you are NOT bulletproof". True dat.

1 hour ago, garypl said:

Bung?

It's a bung hole, and I hate to say it but the tool is a reamer.

so why is there a curved bottom on wine bottles?

The concave bottom is to counter the pressure of the fermentation gases within the bottle

It's actually a place for me to rest my thumb while I pour. Little known fact. So little known, in fact, that I may be the only person that knows it. It's very hush-hush.

fredk was very, very close, though.

Edited by alpha2

On 1/27/2018 at 5:58 PM, Mjolnir said:

Wrong. but as a former art director, I'm intrigued! Just like I know from experience that LeAnn Rimes wears tiny shoes that her finger toes hang out of.

I did not know that, but I'm intrigued. We'll let it go at that...

God, I love this thread.

I like all the threads where @Mjolnir has had a significant input ... I think he's habit-forming! :blahblahblah:

11 hours ago, fredk said:

The concave bottom is to counter the pressure of the fermentation gases within the bottle

Correct!  And to take it a little further, champagne bottles have a much more pronounced indentation and much thicker glass to contain the carbonation pressure.  Furthermore, that was one of the key developments made by Dom Perignon.  Bottles tended to explode before he made the above modifications.

- Bill 

Ok, since I won that round its my turn.

What is the common link between a boot/shoe lace and something which denotes a military rank?

7 hours ago, billybopp said:

Correct!  And to take it a little further, champagne bottles have a much more pronounced indentation and much thicker glass to contain the carbonation pressure.  Furthermore, that was one of the key developments made by Dom Perignon.  Bottles tended to explode before he made the above modifications.

- Bill 

Plausible but not definitive. Certainly makes sense in a champagne bottle. There are several theories for the 'punt'. I like the one that winemakers were cheating out of an extra glass of wine. Just like when I open a fat bag of chips and its half full. ( I'm an optimist lol!). I had all ways heard it was for turning the bottle 'Riddling'. the wine maker would stick their thumb into the punt and give it a twist every few months.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Ok, since I won that round its my turn.

What is the common link between a boot/shoe lace and something which denotes a military rank?

This should be good! I'm stumped. I do know that I didn't lace my shoes correctly until the military taught me how.