Mjolnir

trivial trivia

Trivia*; In the UK the 'Best before' date on packets of crisps** is always a Saturday***

** crisps = potato chips in US

*** I wonder if its the same in US/Oz/Canuk

* Trivia. from Roman Latin, Tri Via, three-roads, or a cross roads, where people use to meet on market days to get the local gossip

Paring could work.  To join together, at least into pairs, or separate (edges, or apple from its skin).  Paired possibly, but would have to check spelling for the latter action (is an apple pared or paired, must google).

just a passing thought.....

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

11 hours ago, fredk said:

crisps = potato chips in US

Sliced or julienne potatoes are called 'chips' in Australia. This includes the hot "fries" version and also the eaten-cold-packet version of "crisps".

Then again, because we have so much influence from UK and US television and ex-pats, any of these are fine to use in 'almost' any establishment Downunder. 

Give that man the ceegar!

Your turn, you're 'it'

What??? Okay, his better be good.

Make it happen, HW!

Nice Hw!! 

In the US Soda is used for the catch all term for carbonated drinks in the state of Florida. Pop is the same thing in the northern states. Coke is the catch all for Tennessee. I also believe northerners use a hose pipe while I call mine a garden hose.

Okey Dokey

5 Pop Songs with a common theme, but what is it?

• Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
  • Candi Staton - You Got The Love
  • U2 - Until The End Of The World
  • The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn!
  • Prince - Let's Go Crazy

@ Mjolnir  in the UK its Pop or Coke ("sorry Sir we only sell Pepsi") or less commonly Cola but my grandma always called it "Fizzy pop" and in the UK its a Hose

On 29/03/2018 at 0:59 PM, hwinbermuda said:

Okey Dokey

5 Pop Songs with a common theme, but what is it?

• Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
  • Candi Staton - You Got The Love
  • U2 - Until The End Of The World
  • The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn!
  • Prince - Let's Go Crazy

@ Mjolnir  in the UK its Pop or Coke ("sorry Sir we only sell Pepsi") or less commonly Cola but my grandma always called it "Fizzy pop" and in the UK its a Hose

Well that seems to have stopped it in its tracks...

13 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

Maybe your question is too obtuse for folks hereabouts. Personally, I got nothing!

Its kinda related to this weekend

I'll post the answer tomorrow, and try not to be as obtuse with the next one..:yeah:

Edited by hwinbermuda

3 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

it takes a few days for others to come on and see it. I'm not playing cos I read that list on a certain website, ;):P:lol:

Might be a give-away but I reckon they should have included Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum and Mrs Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel

I'll give the answer to my Viking puzzle soon,........... maybe later.......maybe not

6 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

I love my Alexa. I just listened to all the songs. Easter weekend so I had thoughts. Maybe Love. God. Prince messed it up. I was diving deep, like who produced the songs!

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, fredk said:

Trivia*; In the UK the 'Best before' date on packets of crisps** is always a Saturday***

** crisps = potato chips in US

* Trivia. from Roman Latin, Tri Via, three-roads, or a cross roads, where people use to meet on market days to get the local gossip

you sell your soul at the cross roads.  Gossip on a fence. Scuttlebutt is the military equivalent.

14 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

I love my Alexa. I just listened to all the songs. Easter weekend so I had thoughts. Maybe Love. God. Prince messed it up. I was diving deep, like who produced the songs!

Well its over to you

BBC website yesterday 5 pop songs you didn't know were about God...

Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
One of the most insistent riffs in rock is married to a lyric about a messianic figure recruiting disciples."I am the chosen, I am the one," sings Kravitz. "But what I really want to know is/Are you going to go my way?"The song came to Kravitz in a flash of inspiration - he recalls scribbling the lyrics down on a brown paper bag - but it reflects his real-life faith.The star has a tattoo on his back which reads "My heart belongs to Jesus", and he once called Christ "the ultimate rock star".

2) Candi Staton - You Got The Love
Disco diva Candi Staton recorded You Got The Love in the 1980s after turning her back on secular music and devoting herself to the church.

Bizarrely, the song originally featured in a video about the world's fattest man and his endeavour to lose weight.

It only became famous when dance act The Source remixed it in 1991 - bringing lyrics like "My saviour's love is real" to raves up and down the country.

The song's success prompted Staton to reassess her career.

"It was such an inspirational song it allowed me to rethink," she told The Guardian. "People in church used to tell me secular music was the devil's music - but I realised it wasn't."

3) U2 - Until The End Of The World
There's a strong spiritual theme running throughout U2's career - at one point, they even considered ditching the band to devote themselves to the church.

So many of their songs are based on biblical teachings that churches have started holding "U2charists" - communion services where the band's songs take the place of hymns.

Their most powerful song, narratively-speaking, is Until The End Of The World, which is sung from the perspective of Judas Iscariot in the Garden of Gethsemane.

The song takes place as he betrays Jesus - delivering a pre-arranged signal that identifies him to the Temple Guards, who arrest him, ultimately leading to the crucifixion.

"I kissed your lips and broke your heart," sings Bono/Judas. "You, you were acting like it was the end of the world."

4) The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn!
"A time to be born, a time to die/A time to plant, a time to reap/A time to kill, a time to heal/A time to laugh, a time to weep."

The Byrds' 1965 hit is based, almost verbatim, on chapter three of the Book of Ecclesiastes, where King Solomon contemplates the meaning of life, God and eternity.

It was "probably the only time a song was at number one on the charts right out of the Bible," guitarist Chris Hillman later told the US Library of Congress. "I know Pete [Seeger, songwriter] made his half of the publishing. I don't know if King Solomon's heirs ever got a dime."

Hillman wasn't religious at the time of writing the song - in fact, he said the lyrics were almost "tongue in cheek" - but he converted to Christianity later in his life.

5) Prince - Let's Go Crazy

OK, so it opens with Prince sermonising over a church organ - but a lot of people missed Let's Go Crazy's religious message amid the lyrics about sex and "purple bananas" (don't ask).

The song is a plea to make the most of life without succumbing to the temptations of the devil - enigmatically characterised as "de-elevator" who is trying to "bring us down".

For those on the path of righteousness, the reward is the afterworld: "A world of never ending happiness [where] you can always see the sun, day or night."

Prince recorded songs that were more explicitly religious (including a jazz-funk Jehovah's Witness concept album called The Rainbow Children) but he never made faith sound this much fun again.

Further listening

Kanye West - Jesus Walks

Mumford and Sons - The Cave

Carrie Underwood - Jesus, Take The Wheel

Nina Simone - Sinnerman

Bob Dylan - Gotta Serve Somebody

The Fray - You Found Me

Mary Mary - Shackles (Praise You)

Bob Marley - Redemption Song

David Bowie - Word On A Wing

Kendrick Lamar - Faith

The Headhunters - God Made Me Funky

Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum

i'm the questor not the guide. Still stumped on fredk 's Danish Viking haiku. Loving the research!

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, fredk said:

Here's a teaser, especially for Mjolnir. This is a genuine Viking puzzle, its been dated to as early as the 7th century [ thats the 600s, about 1400 years ago.] This one is one of my favourites

There is a special form the Vikings [Norse/Danes] wrote/spoke their puzzles.

Give me a name, name me

The less I am the more men fear me

Name me, give me a name

not my turn

I reckon its either LumpenDoodle2 or Sheilajeanne turn to be 'it'

3 hours ago, hwinbermuda said:

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Who's turn is it?

please Sheila I'm frying bacon so...

An airplane flies from point A to point B at 100 knots airspeed. It is flying into a 10 knot headwind. Then, it flies back to point A at 100 knots airspeed, with a 10 knot tailwind. Will it make up the time it lost flying into the headwind, when it returns with the tailwind?

Edited by alpha2

Here goes nothing...

yes it does

Or

No it doesn't

I love multi choice in subjects I am rubbish at...

To quote Rev Jim in Taxi   "was I right?"

No. Time lost can not be recovered.

My favorite child psychology story was of a young boy at an airport. After watching the planes take off he was terrified of 'getting smaller'.

19 hours ago, fredk said:

fredk you are killing me.