Mattsbagger

Stitching horse.

Bamboo skewers work well too.  They are more fiberous so work better than soft wood.  Glue just the same as you would with toothpicks or matches.  Can sharpen them as needed to make them fit.  I use what ever is conveniently located for the job at hand.  All three materials work.

Tom

Well I got it up and running. Replaced the wood screw with a leather "nut" with a carriage bolt and a bushing. Epoxy and brass wood screws on the thingy that locks the jaws closed. New strap and buckle. And some crappy padding to pad my boney butt.lol Its a little different stitching at an angle but doesn't seem to affect the look of my stitches. And it's nice that the thread never catches on anything.

IMG_20180207_164928-625x625.jpg

Way to go, Matt! Glad you got it up and running. 

25 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

Well I got it up and running. Replaced the wood screw with a leather "nut" with a carriage bolt and a bushing. Epoxy and brass wood screws on the thingy that locks the jaws closed. New strap and buckle. And some crappy padding to pad my boney butt.lol Its a little different stitching at an angle but doesn't seem to affect the look of my stitches. And it's nice that the thread never catches on anything.

IMG_20180207_164928-625x625.jpg

Looking good.

On 1/29/2018 at 0:08 PM, Northmount said:

Bamboo skewers work well too.  They are more fiberous so work better than soft wood.  Glue just the same as you would with toothpicks or matches.  Can sharpen them as needed to make them fit.  I use what ever is conveniently located for the job at hand.  All three materials work.

Tom

I did not know that, thanks! We've got those skewers around here! I LOVE this forum!

Perdy 

18 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I did not know that, thanks! We've got those skewers around here! I LOVE this forum!

My dad taught me about the toothpick/match stick/bamboo skewer trick in order to fill the screw holes in a door frame to replace a door striker plate,. The new one had holes in a different location than the prior one.

Lucky Duck! I would love to have a project like this.