Sign in to follow this  
SteveHolt

Beveling/Stamping Question

Hello,

I’m very much a newbie to leathercraft, and was hoping someone may be able to help me understand how to achieve the results in some of the attached photos, or at least point me in the right direction. 

I thought initially the tooling only consisted of some matting stamps, but it seems that there is some beveling involved as well to achieve the “raised” look. Any ideas of how this look is produced?

603979F7-9610-42C0-ACF9-F242BC554878.thumb.jpeg.3d20d09d9b04522781fe0504e4e49b47.jpeg

Another photo:

7D6E4501-8E78-449D-A892-1DB8F8503F79.thumb.png.73d3053ddf0a804e07cbd8bc670b94c2.png

Edited by SteveHolt
Edit Topic

It looks like they used a lined bar grounder. I think that it what it it called. It is a little tear dropped shape.

Look in your last picture. Bottom left hand corner. Just right of the center of  the bottom of the left snap, you will see a nice impression of the stamp that shows the shape.

The raised portion is where they didn't stamp.

P.S. STEVEHOLT!!!!!:lol:

We just finished watching "Arrested Development" again.

Edited by bikermutt07

Mutt's almost got it .. not a bar grounder, but he's right about the clue near that bottom right snap.  It looks like a Tandy A104 for most of the area and possibly A105 at the edges - but there are a few others in that general family of tools that it could be (and could also be a similar tool from another maker).  Go to Tandy's website and search "background".   Additionally, they look to have used either a lined or checked beveler around the outside border, also likely Tandy.   

P.S.  Sad that Netflix hasn't yet released the rumored season 5 of Arrested Development.  *Cue the Charlie Brown sad music* 

- Bill

2 hours ago, billybopp said:

Mutt's almost got it .. not a bar grounder, but he's right about the clue near that bottom right snap.  It looks like a Tandy A104 for most of the area and possibly A105 at the edges - but there are a few others in that general family of tools that it could be (and could also be a similar tool from another maker).  Go to Tandy's website and search "background".   Additionally, they look to have used either a lined or checked beveler around the outside border, also likely Tandy.   

P.S.  Sad that Netflix hasn't yet released the rumored season 5 of Arrested Development.  *Cue the Charlie Brown sad music* 

- Bill

I didn't care a whole lot for season 4. It just didn't have "it".

Dudes, thank you so much. I was expecting some sound advice from experienced leathercrafters (which is what I got and which this site has always graciously offered), but Arrested Development fans too?!? So awesome!

Tony Hale recently came to my town and spoke at the universirty. I really wish I’d had a copy of Boy Fights featuring the Baby Buster shorts for him to sign. Or even a hook  

Agreed on Season 4...it had its moments, but so hard to live up to Seasons 1 & 2 especially. I thought it was on par with Season 3. And as for Season 5, we’ll see!

Bill and Mutt, thank you so much!

"I haven't blue myself in over 5 years"

Edited by bikermutt07