Eddie Q

Scrap Leather Crossdraw

Made this lil guy for my 3.75” New Vaquero Birdshead in .357 mag. out of a bad piece of 8-9oz shouder(had a bunch of scars and even a small scrape) and lined it with 1.5-2 oz suede pig. This was just a practice pattern and I like the results. Maybe next one I’ll make it with a full skirt.

C00D4DF9-E50A-4196-BE2D-8C17790A2608.jpeg

That looks great. I had always wanted a bird's head, until I held one. 

Love the look, but I hated the feel.

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

That looks great. I had always wanted a bird's head, until I held one. 

Love the look, but I hated the feel.

Hey, I’m a Chopper Jockey...... might not be comfortable but as long as it looks good ;) ,lol. Actually, when I first got it, I immediately fell for it. I have skinny long hands and it feels good, even better when drawing and shooting it. By the way a great shooter. 

Nice, but I reckon a full skirt would look a little better aesthetically. I like the random pattern, what did you use to make it?

16 minutes ago, dikman said:

Nice, but I reckon a full skirt would look a little better aesthetically. I like the random pattern, what did you use to make it?

Just the gun. Also might make it a tad shorter and stock Mr. Rhon and attempt to lace it up .

2 hours ago, Eddie Q said:

Hey, I’m a Chopper Jockey...... might not be comfortable but as long as it looks good ;) ,lol. Actually, when I first got it, I immediately fell for it. I have skinny long hands and it feels good, even better when drawing and shooting it. By the way a great shooter. 

See that is probably the difference right there. I also have large hands, but short sausage fingers.

I've been admiring your drop down holster for the snubby and now your "scrap leather cross draw". I envy your work. They look great!  Leatherwork is a fairly new hobby for me and I've been making holsters, knife sheaths and ammo boxes for my sons. I finish them with neats foot oil and Aussie wax to help water proof them, so nothing fancy. I love the colors and contrasts of your holsters. If it's not a trade secret, could you tell me how you get the different colors and the pattern around your zia stamp?  Love the southwest, New Mexico, look. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

I've been admiring your drop down holster for the snubby and now your "scrap leather cross draw". I envy your work. They look great!  Leatherwork is a fairly new hobby for me and I've been making holsters, knife sheaths and ammo boxes for my sons. I finish them with neats foot oil and Aussie wax to help water proof them, so nothing fancy. I love the colors and contrasts of your holsters. If it's not a trade secret, could you tell me how you get the different colors and the pattern around your zia stamp?  Love the southwest, New Mexico, look. 

Thanks

No trade secret Mr. Humbug, I’m a novice myself .... I have plenty of guns and friends with them also, not to mention kids(5boys). I’ve been experimenting with dyes. After tooling/stamping, I block dye what ever lighter color and then block the edges(I have a fancy air brush system my boss gave me a few Christmas’s ago but been a chicken to use them) with a darker color. I neats foot oil after and after at least  a day, I then seal with tan-kote, antique with whatever crosses my drunken mind by then(buy all available shades) and then seal with 50/50 resolene/water . I use Fiebings spirit dyes and paste antique . I’ve learned from hours of scoping this wonderful site so again, no trade secret. And the New Mexico theme is a pride of where I’m from. I use whatever matting tool to make a hot mess ;) !!

Edited by Eddie Q

That’s cute!

Thanks for your detailed response. You've inspired me to try something different. Ive got a sheath in the works and Plan to try your technique. 

Thanks again