Stetson912

Clay miller tools, who uses them?

I'm interested to know about clay miller tools. Mainly his stamps and how they compare to Barry King's stamps. 

If there is anyone out there who could let me know about quality ect I'd appreciate it. I emailed clay and got a price list and he seems like a good guy and his products look exceptional. 

Also, his sizing is different so of anyone could recommend sizes for medium to small Sheridan and floral style carving that would be awesome.

To thanks y'all

I've been reading some posts here as well, everything g I've seen has been positive about clay and everyone seems to like what they get. 

I have two different sets of stamps, one of which Clay made to my specifications, and a swivel knife that is my go-to knife.  Clay makes excellent tools and is a real pleasure to deal with!

Mike

@Mike Craw, thanks. That's what I've been hearing. Price wise it's all about the same. I'm sensing the best way to find out what I need is to ask him haha. Truthfully I don't know what I need myself. I haven't done much tooling because I haven't had the tools for it. So I'm going to give it a go. I have a bk swivel knife that I like. But I'm considering one of Clay's as well. I love his mail handles too, beautiful work with the resin and wood 

While I normally subscribe to the "Buy once, cry once" philosophy, that really only applies when you have a pretty good idea of what you want / need.   To my way of thinking, that's where Tandy level tools come into their own.  No, they're not great but they are good enough and cheap enough when on sale to start to get an idea of what you want to do.  A good option for you might be to poke around on ebay and find somebody that's selling a good sized collection of tools for a good price and go to town!  I'd try not to pay more than a couple bucks per tool buying that way.  After six months or a year or so experimenting you'll have a MUCH better idea of what good tools you want to buy.  Keep those Tandy tools that you don't replace around too - you never know when you might need to do that one-off tool that's just good enough.

Just my opinion 

- Bill

I have the basics from Tandy and learned how they work. But I don't have the tools more suited for Sheridan style carving. 

I have a few bevelers and shaders and the like, but most I'm unhappy with. I'll figure out what I want in my research process haha. I always do. I tend to agree with that philosophy, just in this case I think I'd just like to invest in the better tools  as most are replacing Tandy counterparts (ie veiners shaders ect) 

I have one that I designed and he made. I don't use it much anymore but it's good. I think it would look better if I had tweaked the design a little more.

I have 3 Barry Kings. I think they leave a deeper impression but that could just be that my leather was cased better or I hit the tool harder.

I'll have to try the Clay Miller again.

Edited by thefanninator

I have known Clay for a long time.  Super-good guy, good business man and makes as good or better tool than any other in my rack.  He is a good carver and his sheridan bevelers are very good.    In fact I got some of his early tools that are to die for and his handles are extra long for my big hands.  He WILL work with you.   HTH  Ken

I had him make the handles on my stamps longer than normal for me and he got them just right.

Good to know Ken. I'm getting more excited about making an order lol. I've seen his tools and they look great

I have also bought custom bevelers and another set specially made for my specs from Clay. Great guy to work with. I also got him before he was making so many differnt tools. I love his bevelers he made for me they are my go to and are used daily. They were also Sheridan style because I like the steep pitch. 

7FFA0B6D-337B-469D-8CBB-59819666333A.jpeg

@jxtime, how well do those work with lettering? I imagine the steep angle is better for lettering as well as Sheridan because of how close your lines get right?

On 2/17/2018 at 1:11 PM, Stetson912 said:

@jxtime, how well do those work with lettering? I imagine the steep angle is better for lettering as well as Sheridan because of how close your lines get right?

@Stetson912Yes, they work pretty good and one is about 1/16th of an inch width for tight spots. Very happy with them. He will also work with you as far as what your needs are. At least he used to. I bought these about 4-5 years ago. But great guy. 

I have a few he made for me. Good quality stuff. My only complaint is that his knurling on the stem is aggressive, it's a bit rough on my fingers. But I am planning to buy some of his figure bevelers I the near future.