Constabulary

Singer 108W20 - My New Binder Setup

I have this machine for a few weeks already. Got it (head only) in a trade for Adler accessories. Machine came in a good and functional condition but I had to clean and refurbish it a bit. I have installed a complete new hook and hook shaft. Crackle coating had some chipping on a few spots but was able to touch it up with VHT black crackle paint - turned out quite good So I think I first show the ready to go setup and the tell the story a bit in reverse. ;)

Haven´t seen many of them here so I first I post some technical data in case someone finds a similar machine and needs some information:

Singer set up the 108w20 machine as synchronized binder sewing machine.

- Factory Stitch Length: max. 7 SPI / 3.6mm
- Foot Lift: max. 8mm
- Feeding System: Triple Feed / Unison Feed / Walking Foot
- Max. Speed: 2700 SPM
- No Reverse
- Arm Length up to the Needle: ~140mm
- Arm Diameter: 46mm (Hook Cover)
- Hook Type: Rotary Hook
- Thread Lever: Link Take Up Lever
- Bobbin Size: 22mm x 7,5mm
- Needle System: 135x1 / 354 / DPx1 / Sy 1451
- Weight (Head only): 19,5 Kg

Similar machines are: Dürkopp 460, CLAES 230, Singer 108K (Made in England), Singer 108U (Made in Japan)

The manual gives a god idea how to "tweak" the stitch length - I played around a bit and I´m now able to sew with approx 4.75 - 5mm / 5 SPI w/o binding. I can even adjust it to a bit longer stitch but then I have some light binding in the mechanics and that's nothing you really want - obviously. So ~5 SPI is pretty much a good sore for this machine I think and I don´t need more so I´m good with this.

"Temporary" motor is a 120Watts / max. 4500 RPM 1950´s era KOBOLD step motor (I think that's how it is called in English) in Germany we say Anlassermotor. Motor is not very powerful at slow speed but speed reducer adds some torque so it works quite well for my application. Sooner or later it will be replaced by a JACK servo but ti will last for a while I think (and hope).

The machine originally was setup for a different type of "shell binder" attachment but the one I have installed works better for the thicker tape I´m going to use.

So first some pictures of the ready set up and then I go back in time a bit with he pictures.

Will check with the Admins hope they can add the manual and parts list here:

Manual:  Manual Singer 108w20, 108w21.pdf

Parts List:  Part List Singer 108W20 .pdf

Edited by Northmount
Added PDFs

I acquired a 108-3. Do you know anything about those? I haven't found much on the web.

Your's looks great.

Edited by bikermutt07

I used to have one like that, minus the binder parts. I took it on the road so I could sew in rooms I stayed in while traveling with road bands. I powered mine with a domestic sewing machine motor I bolted onto the back of the head. I mounted it on a 12x12x1/2 inch piece of wood.

Nice job Constabulary, it looks like new!

Great looking setup you have there! 108's are great binding machines.

10 hours ago, SheltathaLore said:

I love that compact stand.  I gotta figure out how to compress all my machines so I can make room for more...

Thats why the machine is mounted on an adapter plate. The 2nd machine I can use on this stand is my 29K71 patcher machine. Just have to loosen 4 screws and install the other machine which has an adapter plate too. Can post a picture later.

10 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I acquired a 108-3. Do you know anything about those? I haven't found much on the web.

Your's looks great.

Sorry no information on the 108-3 - is it a flat bed machine? 108 came as cylinder and flat bed machines. Maybe CowboyBob or Gregg from Keystone Sewing know more.

Some pictures of the chipped crackle coat and the result after touching it up with VHT crackle paint

5a702e0e83b8e_cracklecoating(1).JPG.46a8c270e0f5edcf291b9d47ff06bdd6.JPG5a702e16bc1f2_cracklecoating(4).JPG.bd71120b19f53fd4794eedd55a674966.JPG5a702e14804e8_cracklecoating(3).JPG.37d9845e94420659672351b478475cc4.JPG5a702e120c952_cracklecoating(2).JPG.62f630ac15acd710adedf02c588245ee.JPG

This is the new hook - actually a NOS hook for a CLAES 230 made in the former GDR but its really good quality. Hook fits just perfect I only had to reposition the from bushing since the "hub" on the hook is a bit shorter than on the OEM hook. OEM hook was attached with 2 screw to the hooks shaft but new hook is pinned to the shaft so I had to replace it completely.

5a702ffe881ec_108whook(1).JPG.6cbf4aebb428ac4f061fc2a36339dc09.JPG5a702ffc132bc_108whook(5).JPG.af6346676c1b9d63755df45fe4581a59.JPG5a702ff946ef0_108whook(4).JPG.438ef2e76495972a7cae49f46788a4fc.JPG5a702ff72b954_108whook(3).JPG.0d957b6674dfb47e316e580aa25a736c.JPG5a702ff4ba2b6_108whook(2).JPG.ac3ad0476ef7092647b7d23e6f2eebc8.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Yes, it is a flat bed. Sorry for the high jack. I just got a little excited seeing anything about a 108.

44 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Yes, it is a flat bed. Sorry for the high jack. I just got a little excited seeing anything about a 108.

no problem at all. Only info I found on 108-3 is this:

http://www.industrialsewmachine.com/webdoc1/used/used-singers/108w.htm

Open a new thread for it - would like to see some details. ;)

I will, that is all I could find as well. I'm bringing the other machine home soon. So I will do a thread for both then. Thanks

Very nicely done Constab and I think I recognise the hook, because you pointed it out to me on ebay many months ago, so I bought one... I forgot to thank you for the heads up...

I think your touch up with the spray paint is a good compromise, sometimes one has decide what it is one wishes to do most.. .Fix them up or use them...  I go through stages... :)

My CLaes 230 has not been used in anger yet, since I have to do as you have done and make a table to fit many machines.. I got an oberfraese for Christmas.. :)

Thanks for the effort of putting up the information.

Cheers

Alex

I am impressed. Nice job! Congrats!

Brt

12 hours ago, alexitbe said:

Very nicely done Constab and I think I recognise the hook, because you pointed it out to me on ebay many months ago, so I bought one... I forgot to thank you for the heads up...

Hey Alex - you are welcome. Yes that actually was the hook I bought :lol: glad you have not bought both back then. Have you bought the binder plate from College Sewing - does it fit for your 230

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:39 PM, Wizcrafts said:

I used to have one like that, minus the binder parts. I took it on the road so I could sew in rooms I stayed in while traveling with road bands. I powered mine with a domestic sewing machine motor I bolted onto the back of the head. I mounted it on a 12x12x1/2 inch piece of wood.

@Wizcrafts:

I was wondering how you connected the drive for the motor? I have tried setting one up like you said, but with the domestic motor bolted to the board behind the machine.

First attempted it with some leather belting, but didn't get any traction on the domestic motor pulley.

Next I tried some green PU round belting (slightly stretchy - thought it would be more like domestic rubber belt), but the same issue.

Now I'm thinking to make a replacement pulley with a slightly larger diameter, which will hopefully do the trick.

Thanks up front for any advice.

@Constabulary:

Thanks for your post and vid. I probably wouldn't have had the confidence to get the machine without reading about it here.

Learned two things here;

Singer has a synchronized binder machine.  Second, they have a brochure in Spanish for a machine from that era.  Never seen that either.

108W20,W21 SPAINSH.pdf

Singer108W20Pages.JPG

Singer108W20Pages.JPG

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

What a beautiful piece of machinery. Well done.

On 1/30/2018 at 5:09 AM, bikermutt07 said:

I wanna see

8 hours ago, Lather said:

@Wizcrafts:

I was wondering how you connected the drive for the motor? I have tried setting one up like you said, but with the domestic motor bolted to the board behind the machine.

First attempted it with some leather belting, but didn't get any traction on the domestic motor pulley.

Next I tried some green PU round belting (slightly stretchy - thought it would be more like domestic rubber belt), but the same issue.

Now I'm thinking to make a replacement pulley with a slightly larger diameter, which will hopefully do the trick.

Thanks up front for any advice.

@Constabulary:

Thanks for your post and vid. I probably wouldn't have had the confidence to get the machine without reading about it here.

That machine was with me about 28 years ago. The best I can recall, I used the longest ribbed domestic belt I could buy. I had the motor mounted high enough on the back that a domestic belt could reach from it to the hand wheel pulley. I would have bought the belt from a sewing machine store. Nowadays, you can buy long stretch belts to reach more distant motors.

13 hours ago, Lather said:

@Constabulary:

You are welcome! ;)

11 hours ago, plinkercases said:

What a beautiful piece of machinery. Well done.

Yeah, it indeed works very well and I´m very pleased with it. Would be nice if it had reverse but that's not necessary for binding operations.

Hey Folker, that looks really professional!! and it´s not SILVER :o:lol:. just kidding. i think you done the right thing with just touching up the chipped and worn areas. not easy to do with normal paint. but this turned out very good with that crinkle finish paint. could that binder work on the 45k?? where did you get it?? Again well done Folker, looks great.:spoton:. is that anchor with MW for Claes/Textima??

Edited by jimi

1 hour ago, jimi said:

is that anchor with MW for Claes/Textima??

Had to think twice what you mean... the sign actually is a stylized hook and the letters in side the sign are NTW (not an anchor) NTW means Nähmaschinenteilewerke. They produced hooks and other sewing machine parts in the former GDR. Co. still exists but no longer makes sewing machine parts.

Note their company logo.

http://www.haerterei-dresden.de/index.html  

2 hours ago, jimi said:

and it´s not SILVER

black crackle coating is the new silver B)  :blahblahblah:

2 hours ago, jimi said:

could that binder work on the 45k??

I have not tried it. Its actually a dirt cheap binder for flat bed machine I have modified. It was just for testing back then but that thing really works well for my purposes so no need to replace it. I run quite thick cotton tape through it. Don´t ask where I bought the binders - I think it was a German seller on Ebay. I have bought 1", 7/8" and 3/4" width and they all work very well.

Don´t you have

18 hours ago, koreric75 said:

I wanna see

I'll drag it over one day. Lol

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Had to think twice what you mean

I had to look twice about what you said! hehe. yes it is a hook..... i thought it was an anchor or something. i got these a while ago and wondered who had made them, now i know. thanks Folker.

20180629_201138.jpg.7e154035e764d524eb162026d5d93253.jpg20180629_201155.jpg.d7668fc0496b5894f19d66a8f3c1d62b.jpg

yes it is back to front :blink:

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Don´t you have

this is the one i got for the pfaff and tried to use it with the 45k but it does not seem to like the 90º. and the original style binder for the 45k is very difficult to get working well. it likes to wander off to the side a lot. so i will have to look for one like yours which might let the leather feed better. 

20180629_201233.jpg.eb5e5eea12233ec3d17d699536ba8f99.jpg

Edited by jimi