Constabulary

Singer 108W20 - My New Binder Setup

On 1/29/2018 at 10:10 PM, bikermutt07 said:

I acquired a 108-3. Do you know anything about those? I haven't found much on the web.

Your's looks great.

:lol: you are in too deep now bikermutt... i think you are an old iron junkie now...:spoton:

Costabulary,

Great job on the Singer 108.  Really looks good.

glenn

I just picked up a machine like yours. Older I think.  It works but it has a couple of missing parts. The end cap at the cylinder bed  and the plate/binder attachment. They guy I got the machine from, used it sew wallets, I’m planing to use it as a binder and to sew pull tabs on shoes. Sooner or later  I will get the either get the shoe or my finger caught in the hook. 

Do you know where to get one? Or if the one form another’s machine will fit. Like a Consew 277

18 minutes ago, George1520 said:

I just picked up a machine like yours. Older I think.  It works but it has a couple of missing parts. The end cap at the cylinder bed  and the plate/binder attachment. They guy I got the machine from, used it sew wallets, I’m planing to use it as a binder and to sew pull tabs on shoes. Sooner or later  I will get the either get the shoe or my finger caught in the hook. 

Do you know where to get one? Or if the one form another’s machine will fit. Like a Consew 277

Don´t know where you are livi9ng but College Sewing in the UK seems to have the bits. Their shop is sometimes tricky cause not all parts are listed in the category they should be listed in. I think these are the bits but check the parts numbers first:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/224702-cylinder-cover-singer-108k.html

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/224738-binder-swing-base-singer-108w.html

If you are looking for other 108 parts look up the parts number or the machine class 108W or 108K

it could well be thats the Pfaff 335 cover could fit

Other than that this thread could be helpful for you to DIY one

some LW members even have printed these caps

Edited by Constabulary

I think I will try to make one from a measuring cup. It looks like it belongs there. Or make and open end circle like the one on Pfaffs. I’ll make one out of die cutting  with the bender.

On your machine, is the binder synchronized?

I’ve made two plates the black one from some scrap metal and the shinny one from an old Singer 111. I don’t make it synchronized, I could by connecting to the feed dog. First I’ll try it this way. 

Also, be made a hook cover out of 3pt die cutting rule. It is a couple of mm short but it covers all the sharp parts of the hook. The steel is good quality steel and it is held in place firmly by itself. It will comes off only if I have to fix the hook timing 

Here are some photos. 

7384F994-FF22-469A-83DA-003B326C1FF6.jpeg

0757CBDD-9407-46E0-95A0-A7B74FCEAD1C.jpeg

65197EB7-D807-4A2C-B604-623441ECC37B.jpeg

Well done!

Yes, it is synchronized. There is small stud on the underside of the binder bracket / swing base which goes into the oblong slot in the feed dog. Distance from the center of the pin to center of the pivot point hole on the right side is ~ 8.4 - 8.5 cm. Stud sticks out ~ 4mm and is ~ 4mm in diameter

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Hello,  I just bought one today.  Any ifno out there on how to time it?  Ifnot, what machine is similar enough so I can compare it too and get close to understanding what needs to happen.

I appreciate any help on this matter

IMG_0191.jpg

That table setup is very interesting - do you know what it was designed to sew?

That is a mattress edge binding setup where the machines moves around the table. I think there is a YT video showing this... let me check.

Reg. timing  - in the 1st post in this thread you can download  manual with all necessary timing values and parts list as well.

I´m not sure but looks the top shaft is bent at the hand wheel. That could be a killer damage. :wacko:

EDIT:

Video is gone - I once posted it here - too bad!

EDIT II:

However - different machine - same principle:

Edited by Constabulary

Yes it is a mattress sewing machine.  Here is a video of it.  I managed to get it to sew, however I have tension issues on the bobbin string, not tightening evenly.  The tensions on both the spool and bobbin are the same.  Could it be that the hook timing is slightly off and pulling down to early?  

Guten Abend Constab,

Ich habe endlich Ihr "service manual" in english gefunden und sofort aus papier gedrückt.

Vielen Dank dafür...

Ich werde Sie sagen, wie ich dieses Problem überholen werde.

Tschüß

Der Phil 

I missed this post.  Never seen or heard of a 108W until now.  Beautiful machine and rebuild.  It' really looks fantastic.  I even studied the parts book.  Pretty straight forward Singer design.  

On 2/3/2021 at 12:35 AM, Constabulary said:

That is a mattress edge binding setup where the machines moves around the table. I think there is a YT video showing this... let me check.

Reg. timing  - in the 1st post in this thread you can download  manual with all necessary timing values and parts list as well.

I´m not sure but looks the top shaft is bent at the hand wheel. That could be a killer damage. :wacko:

EDIT:

Video is gone - I once posted it here - too bad!

EDIT II:

However - different machine - same principle:

Ach du liebe zeit!

9 hours ago, Constabulary said:

:blink:  Your German is becoming better  ;)

In the early 1970s I lived with a German family for a year. This was the lady's favorite saying.

@Constabulary well done. just got hold of one of these and very excited. I also have the same issue with a different hook and the bushing being slightly off with the hub. I have removed the bushing set screw but the bushing seems to be seized to the body of the machine... unless I'm missing something? I'm scared of giving it a good whack to free it.. don't want to  so thought I'd ask here first in case I'm missing something! is there a groove or lock mechanism for the bushing aside just the one set screw? Cheers. 

When the bushing is stuck it must likely is gummed up with old oil so I´d try some penetrating oil or kerosene (what ever desolves old oil) and if it does nor help apply heat with a blow torch and then try again.