MarkInKy

What is this called???

Hello all,

I'm new to leatherworking still and have seen this diamond pattern hatched thingy on  phone cases and book covers.  It looks nice and kinda classy but I don't know what it's called!  I'd like to get some tips on tooling it so I don't make any stupid mistakes.  Lord knows I make plenty of mistakes!

Anyway, does this diamond, square, block design have a name because I don't know what it's referred to:-)

Any carving/tooling tips would be appreciated!  I take it this book cover had resist applied and then some antiquing to make the "crosshatch" diamond pattern (and other tooling) pop?  Maybe olive oil, then resist then antiqued?  

Thanks in advance:-)

Mark in Northern KY

Book 1 cover leather.jpg

Edited by Northmount
added tags

I don't know what it's called. But it is made with a swivel knife and a seeder.

I would call it 'Lattice Work'. Bikermutt has said it

I was just reading a 'How do I......'  on this just the other day. Some cut the lines first then stamp with a seeder, whilst some mark the lines, stamp with the seeder, then cut the lines between the stampings. Yes, looks like a resist first then antique applied

I don't think it has a name, other than a diamond pattern. The easiest way to do it is by using a round awl. Draw the square shape first, then connect the corners to make a big X using the awl. Lay the awl down pretty flat so it doesn't scratch the leather when you drag it. Then lay a 1" ruler next to the line, and make the rest of the lines all the way to the corners. You might want to practice on some paper first, and adjust the spacing so it looks correct your project. You can use a swivel knife if you want, but an awl does a good job. Then use the seeder at all the line crossings. Use a small seeder so it eliminates the small x inside it. 

Okay,

Maybe we should name it... Diamond Lattice!  Sounds good to me LOL.

So I guess one would start laying down the 2 longest line first?  Then determine spacing distance from the longest lines and draw one line at a time moving outward from there.  Based on the fact the longest lines go perfectly into the corners it looks like the maker of this one must have began with those long lines:-)

Thanks!
Mark

A lot of people call it a quilting pattern too. From what I've heard. Even spaced straight lines cut with a swivel knife and your seeder of choice. Tt one guy he uses a protractor at 30 degrees.

Slightly off topic, but not really...Anyone remember the old bit about the effect of punctuation on a sentence...i.e, "what is this thing, called love?" As opposed to "what is this thing called, love?"

yup, remember that and the book 'Eats Shoots and Leaves' all about such

Ha! I forgot about that one! Good times. You're killin' me!

Yep, that's the same design. I should have known the hobbits would be into that kinda thing.

I've always heard it called quilting. Or quilted pattern. The tool making the dots is called a seeder. The quilt pattern is cut with a swivel knife. I haven't tried it but I'd like to. I'm going to see that video haha. 

If it was upholstery, it's called Diamond Tufting or Diamond Pointing. Used a lot in hot rods and such. Don't know if when used in leather if it would be called the same.

Well,

After viewing the video I decided to give it a try.  I printed out a design and lightly marked the leather where the seeder would strike then removed the template, seeded, then came in and swiveled the lines.  I decided it looked a little better to me when I did not swivel into the seeder area, instead I stopped short.  So you can see the lines don't go into the seeder area for the most part:-)  Another experiment!

7FF9119A-838D-4A95-A26B-CB4893CEE859-X3.jpg

Looks grand

Did good on that arrow weave too.

Are you only supposed to bevel the one side of the line like that?

Thanks guys,

That was my first attempt with the arrow weave AND the "diamond quilting lattice dealio":-)

Stetson912, are you referring to beveling on the quilting lines?  I did not bevel those lines... initially I took my modeling tool to those lines and quickly decided they looked best left alone.  This is also a thin leather experiment (3oz) so that must be why I could get no improvement with the modeling tool and left the beveler alone. So I did no beveling at all on the whole piece as a matter of fact.  Did not use a beveler or shader/backgrounder on this cover.

Here is (attached picture) my first booker cover and attempt with stamping, about a week ago.  I really like the serpentine effect!  I like basketweave too though... 

Mark

2018012320511650-IMG_0264-X4.jpg

Yeah, that serpentine is cool! Like it a lot!

Oh, and punctuation IS important....

Oxford comma.png

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Ah I see. I saw the beveling in the video. Perhaps that's more for thicker leather. Either way, it looks good. 

I do the quilt design frequently. I like to use a push beveler on the lines after cutting with a swivel knife. It gives more depth to the pattern. Kind of makes it look padded.

I know this is an old thread but I was doing some research and thought it could use some updating.  

As for the layout, Makers Leather Supply has a centering ruler that also has parallel layout lines on one side.  They come in 6", 12", and 18" lengths.  you can layout 2 parallel lines in 1/8" increments from 1/8" to 2".  it worked very well. 

I was trying this on a piece of 4oz.  initially I was not happy with the "depth" I also was having a problem with the small piece I was working on sliding around.  I got a larger piece of 2-3oz leather rough side up and put it between the work piece and the granite.  it worked like a champ.  the sliding was less of an issue and the depth improved.  

hope that helps.

Brian