TheAlbinoYeti

Bible cover for the Wife

My wife has been wanting me to make a bible cover since I started dabbling in leather about a year ago. I wanted to do something special, so I decided to try to carve this image on the cover. Not bad for a first attempt I reckon. But I would like to have smoother more precise beveling. P.S.  this is my first project post here so any constructive comments would be appreciated.

51786BFC-5BF9-4348-800C-C3098840BF74.jpeg

Edited by TheAlbinoYeti

I think that's good for a first effort. Better than mine hah. Beveling is tricky business, but once you get it you got it. The trick is to consistently strike the tool frequently while moving it along your cut line in very small increments. When you start out focus on keeping the force constant and moving the tool ever so slightly over before striking again. You can go slow to start. Shopped and fluidity come with time and practice. To clean ant rough but up after you can take a modeling spoon and smooth it out too.keepb it up 

That is a wonderful first effort. You can actually tell what it is, instead of it looking like a bunch of smashed impressions. 

On that beveling note. I know a lot of people use a casing solution. It involves some soap and allows the tools to glide a little easier.

Maybe @YinTx could chime in on that?

Thanks @bikermutt07, and @Stetson912 for the kind words and advice. I have heard about some kind of casing solutions but didn’t know if they worked. I will try one after a little research. If anyone has any recommendations on them I would appreciate it. Going to work on back of cover soon. 

Very nice.  

As to the casing, many will say, "Water works!"  And it does just fine.  If you want to experiment some, I listed some of the recipes I've gotten off of this site in this thread:

and perhaps other threads as well.  I'm no expert, but your Tooling looks pretty good for a first go!

YinTx