texback

A couple more recent projects

Couple of camp stools I made for the wife and I.

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

Very nice work!

Nice! Good job :)

Texback,

Those stools look great, but having tried that myself, I am concerned that the stress on the top of your legs are going to be an issue...

Perhaps you could secure the top of the legs with a snug fitting metal ring - so the screws won't crack the "dowl" in half if you ad weight when sitting down.

I sew pockets on the underside of mine so the legs could push into it. After a few years the stitching faltered because of the wooden legs rubbing the thread.

Keep up the good work!

Those look great. 

If you ever think you need a stronger tri-bolt Lee valley tools carries some in solid brass. 

Carry on.

Thanks for the compliments. It was a bear doing all the swivel knife cuts, beveling, and painting on both but I think they came out ok. As far as the dowels, I don't think I will have a problem. I used oak dowels. I did think about sewing pockets for the dowels but with a double layer of leather I really didn't think it was needed.

If you do feel the dowels are in danger of splitting, you could cut a small length (1 inch or so) of copper or steel tube and place a ferrule on the top of the dowels, then re-screw the seat back down. No splitting then, plus maybe a nice copper accent.

They're great looking stools and would most likely be good sellers.

How big are the dowels?  If you do have any issues you might be able to reinforce the ends with copper plumbing pipe.

I used 1 inch oak dowels from Home Depot. I used brass finish washers with 1 inch brass screws that I drilled a pilot hole for and should spread the load on top of doubled leather. The idea of putting a copper pipe around the top sounds like a good idea for both strength and accent. Might have to try that on any others I make. Don't think the dowels will split but only time will tell. I am toying with the idea of making these for sale but the market is flooded with the cheap canvas and tubing style for cheap. These were just a test run to see what I could learn and to get a feel for the cost involved.