Sign in to follow this  
ojd

New collar making book released

Hello. Following a conversation I had with the proprietor, australian publishing house the rams skull press has recently released a small book/booklet on collar making, called "Collar making the traditional way" by Ron Edwards. The information therein had previously been available in some other book, but is now available in a single little volume. I got it yesterday in the mail. The literature on collar making is very scarce, Haslucks book harness making being the only one I know of in English. And as correct as it might have been it does lack a lot both in information and how it is presented. Looking thru Haslucks bibliography it is quite evident that he either was a dilettant or just an editor. I mean seriously, motor cycle building, plumbing, electroplating and harness making, the feller must have been a jack of all trades..

Anyway, the Edwards book is good, albeit very thin. But it does cover tools, materials, patterns for various parts (only for one size horse), techniques, general tips and a few recipes for leather treatment goos (the latter seems to be taken from hasluck). I sort of researched the subject myself by Reading thru hasluck, looking at photos and videos, pestering collar makers with stupid questions, and of course making one. This book answered a lot of the questions I had, and confirmed some of my thoughts on how to do things. So for me it was a very good read. The illustrations are fantastic.

Note, this book is about making collars built up with long straw, not the chaff filled, seamed up jobs that is common in the US.

Overall I would give the book a solid 5 out of 5. If you're worried about postage from oz, have a look at the stock saddle book and how to make a saddle tree (which is the only written account i have found on how to make a english-ish tree), lower postage per book if you order a few...

No affiliation with the rams skull press, just a happy customer.

I am trying to find a copy of this book.  Does ANYONE know how to get one?

God bless

Mike