Hildebrand

How to handle bobbin running out in mid project

I am a long time lurker and just finally joined the forum.  I do a little holster and miscellaneous case work.  I have one of the cast iron Boss sewing machines, I bought it used and based on the serial number it is very old.  My question is what do you do if the bobbin run out mid project?  I try to start any large project with a full bobbin but then you end up with 2 or 3 partial bobbins.  When you start back do you just sew over the last 3-4 stitches and continue on or do you sew back and forth over the last 3-4 stitches to lock the last stitches from the first bobbin and the first stitches from the new bobbin in?

Thanks for the help.

Todd

I just splice in about 3 stitches before where the bobbin ran out. But, I try to bury the existing knots before sewing over them by pulling on the top and remaining bobbin threads. I hold the old threads out to the right side so I cross them once, then continue on.

Todd,

Wiz’s suggestion is my go to method when I’m not proactively thinking about my bobbin thread ( which is easily 50% if the time).  When I do think ahead to check how much bobbin thread I have left, which is usually before a belt or strap, I have two strategies I use.  

First, I keep in mind how cheap thread is in the long run, so if it means that I’m pulling the remaining thread off to refill the bobbin, c’est la vie.  It’s a small cost compared to my personal obsession to make the best possible product within my abilities.  

The second option which I use far more often is to pull the partially used bobbin and put in another full bobbin and save the partial bobbin for a smaller project. If you haven’t invested in spare bobbins I can’t recommend it enough.  It has a huge impact on work flow to have spare bobbins that are already full.  Since I have a Cobra C4 and to fill a bobbin requires me to completely stop my sewing, I have at least 2 full bobbins of every thread I use on a regular basis.   The initial investment for the large bobbins was a little painful but it’s paid for itself the first project that I didn’t have to stop my workflow mid-project.  

Heavy nylon thread is a penny per yard. Lighter stuff is even cheaper. If it's a product where appearance is paramount I'll happily empty a partial and start a seam (especially a long one) with a full bobbin.

As Joon says above, bobbins can be a very good investment. In industry it's common to have two spools of each colour and weight of thread, so bobbins can be wound without unthreading the machine. That's why most thread stands have a place for two spools. However I use a lot of different colours and weights of thread and even at £10-20 per spool that adds up to a lot of money tied up in thread. Doubling that by getting two of each isn't something I'm keen to do, so I bought a lot of bobbins. I've got more than 50 for my main machine. When I change top threads I take the opportunity for a coffee break and wind a handful of bobbins before threading it, more than I'll need to finish the job I've got on. Any left over get saved until next time I need that thread again.

Thread is pennies, my time is pounds.

Thanks everyone. That’s what I figured I just need to pay closer attention and make sure the bobbins are full.