That’s a beautiful piece of hair on hide too!

9 hours ago, garypl said:

Hey Ryan - how did you do the inlaid rattlesnake skin?  Is it sandwiched between two layers of leather?  I think it’s a bit fragile so you wouldn’t want the knife rubbing directly against the snake skin - correct?  What weight and type leather and thread did you use?

Gary

Yep. It's sandwiched between two pieces of 9 oz leather... not to mention the 9 oz back and 5 oz welt... so yeah... it's a bit thick. Thread was size 346.

-Ryan

5 hours ago, JKHelms said:

That’s a beautiful piece of hair on hide too!

Thanks.! I'm thinking of making a pair of Arizona shotgun show chaps with that hide. :) 

11 minutes ago, Rolandranch said:

Yep. It's sandwiched between two pieces of 9 oz leather... not to mention the 9 oz back and 5 oz welt... so yeah... it's a bit thick. Thread was size 346.

Didn’t realize it was so thick!  Do you have a side view?

Gary

1 minute ago, garypl said:

Didn’t realize it was so thick!  Do you have a side view?

Gary

I'll get some more pics hopefully later today. :)

Ryan

Thank you all for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Here are some more photos including a photo of the back. :)

1989919122331946361.jpg.d1a92e006417be51d74fed9fc9f82b1c.jpg3392231323839785896.jpg.ee8c81367db48bc8b2af7cb66ca80e55.jpg7070096400782798563.jpg.49ac4ce61b9beab7d3124472be780109.jpg7104102444867353705.jpg.cbd0e0de4ba1466d51a870124ca354e8.jpg

Thanks, again!

-Ryan

great job Ryan did you tan the snake or is it raw?

12 hours ago, ID45 said:

great job Ryan did you tan the snake or is it raw?

I killed and tanned it. :) 

5 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

I killed and tanned it. :) 

Just curious... does it take long to tan a skin?

looking at the back stitching ( picture is a bit fuzzy when I zoom in ) I think you need to tighten the screw on your bobbin to pull your stitches tighter?

6 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Just curious... does it take long to tan a skin?

looking at the back stitching ( picture is a bit fuzzy when I zoom in ) I think you need to tighten the screw on your bobbin to pull your stitches tighter?

It takes about 2-3 weeks to tan one. Sometimes 1 week if it dries quickly. 

It could have been tighter but most of what you see is the leather that got pushed out a bit when the needle went through. But I would go a little tighter next time. 

Yeah... How did you construct the skin into the leather? I'm very curious about the lining if you did use one. I am also interested in rattler skins and any advice to go with them.

One question. Did you remove the scales from the rattler hide and if so what's the best way to do so?

4 hours ago, DV8DUG said:

Yeah... How did you construct the skin into the leather? I'm very curious about the lining if you did use one. I am also interested in rattler skins and any advice to go with them.

I just sandwiched it between two pieces of leather; the top piece just has "windows."

2 hours ago, texback said:

One question. Did you remove the scales from the rattler hide and if so what's the best way to do so?

Yes, I removed the shedding scale coves with a knife. Just hold it at a 90 degree angle to the hide and scrape 'em off. :) 

Thanks that's what I thought was the way to remove them but just wanted to be sure before I messed up a skin. You gave me inspiration with your sheath so I am making one for a Bowie type knife I have.

16 hours ago, texback said:

Thanks that's what I thought was the way to remove them but just wanted to be sure before I messed up a skin. You gave me inspiration with your sheath so I am making one for a Bowie type knife I have.

Have fun with the next sheath! Send me pics!