Hey all, 

Started binge watching some leathercraft videos on YouTube and got me hooked to the point I had to try it. 

I've made 3 wallets so far, the first 2 based on a free pattern online, one having the outline of a business logo on the back,  the card holder was my own design but admittedly its a very simple one! 

Attempting a vertical wallet tonight for a friend of mines birthday, love to see what you guys think and offer any advice 

IMG_20180201_153524.jpg

IMG_20180201_153612.jpg

IMG_20180128_190413.jpg

It looks like you're off to a great start. You may want to watch some stitching videos. 

Maybe get yourself a wing divider or even just a straight edge for your stitching lines.

Nigel @ armitage leather has some good ones as well as leodis leather.

Try not pulling the stitches so tight. After you stitch give them a little tap to help them lay down.

Keep having fun.

Thanks man, I do have a stitch groover (that blocked on the first use, but still marks a straight line) 

But I find my mind wandering when I'm punching with the chisels, and it'll be on a slight angle then I notice and correct it on the next one. 

I'll try not pulling so tight going forward but I do use a rubber mallet to help lay them flat

I can't be sure from the photo, but it looks like your stitches are fuzzy. Are you using waxed thread? 

The inside or flesh side can be made smooth using some gum tragacanth and slicker. I'd recommend trying to slick the inside if you find your projects starting to flake or get too ragged. If you end up with a really ragged piece you can also trim the flesh side and use sandpaper on it before slicking it.  

I agree with mutt, both people he mentioned are great and have videos that will hello with stitching. 

And wing dividers are invaluable tools, you should get a set. 

Thanks for the replies and comments, I have been watching Leodis and Armitage, I just need to work on keeping my chisel straight when punching the holes.

In regards to waxed thread - I don't have any right now, but I've been using a block of Beeswax and running the thread through it to coat it for the first project, forgot on the second too, so I'll make sure I do until I get some waxed thread.

Never thought of slicking the flesh side, I don't have that gum, I've just been burnishing with saddle soap and water then finishing with beeswax.

On 2/2/2018 at 7:35 AM, JamesMcn said:

Thanks for the replies and comments, I have been watching Leodis and Armitage, I just need to work on keeping my chisel straight when punching the holes.

In regards to waxed thread - I don't have any right now, but I've been using a block of Beeswax and running the thread through it to coat it for the first project, forgot on the second too, so I'll make sure I do until I get some waxed thread.

Never thought of slicking the flesh side, I don't have that gum, I've just been burnishing with saddle soap and water then finishing with beeswax.

Gum tragacanth is the same thing as gum karaya Or Wilton Gum-Tex for making gum paste flowers for cakes. It costs about $8 anywhere they sell Wilton cake decorating supplies. Gum tragacanth goes by 4 different names, but all are the same exact thing. Just mix the powder with water and save yourself $30.