Hi, everyone!!

I hadn't been around in a while... you know how it is, busy with the day job... boy, does that take up a lot of time!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to share a new project I started working on for my barber: a holster for his trade tools. He wants something the likes of a shoulder holster, resting between the ribs and the arm, with straps crossing on the back... I don't know what these are actually called but I'm sure you get the idea. He proposed the idea, and it started to tumble around in my head. I'm very sure it has been done before, but I didn't want to get influenced by looking for holsters made specifically for a barber's scissors and straight razor.

I remember having read around here about wet forming and I started off by making a sort of cast out of a couple of slicing boards.

First, I traced said scissors and razor, pasted them on one of the boards and cut around with a hand saw:

2868A0D0-F1FB-45F0-8CAD-9F54CD5F4CF5.JPG.62e67457cd491e0f5328edbcde88f743.JPG

I then proceeded with sanding off the edges of both the negative and positive halves of the cast to give room for the leather.

AC18B105-9B3E-4DA9-9899-FBEC743AED10.JPG.634f8491488a9edb906380633f01c980.JPG

I wet the leather (around 6 oz, natural color, veg tan), inserted it into the cast and kept everything in place with a few hand press and vises

CAE8DFD9-E5D1-4109-8126-DE2361343231.JPG.234e7528e7f1f21f94295ea5e7374968.JPG

After it was all dry and properly formed (roughly a week after because of very bad weather when I started) I dyed both sides of it: brown on the rough side and black on the side that will be shown, just to have the borders shine a bit diferent than the rest of the piece... it doesn't show in the picture, tho. I already punched the holes for the stitch.

7E741E82-08E4-4590-92D8-40C32ECB56BD.JPG.2fbccacd31246620f1880416e01c2e12.JPG

Anyway, it's all I have done for now. I'll keep sharing the progress as the idea keeps taking shape. There are decissions still to be made about what fasteners to use, the thread color, what kind of rivets I will use, etc... so, I'm open to ideas!!

Have a nice day everyone!! it's nice to be back after a loooong while!!

I like the idea, and your execution looks like its going to be a winner.

Are you going to use a welt, especially on the straight razor side? Then again, I guess you would probably need a welt all round ... thinking ... thinking ... thinking  

18 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

I like the idea, and your execution looks like its going to be a winner.

Are you going to use a welt, especially on the straight razor side? Then again, I guess you would probably need a welt all round ... thinking ... thinking ... thinking  

Thanks a lot for your comment Brian.

I hadn't thought about a welt... would it be needed to keep the blade from bending downwards?

The side of the razor was a particular issue when I was thinking about how to do this.

IMG_7968.jpg.d5004f3728062370bd2ee208c0d446a9.jpg

If you notice, there's a sort of bevel on the right side of the picture that will help to keep the whole razor tight within the sheath... but not so tight that it wouldn't go in or come out. That's why the stitch line parts away from the razor on the side of the razor's hinge.

Would this welt be under the sheath on the side of the blade?... I'm trying to picture the whole thing...

A welt would be a thin piece the same shape as the stitch line of the sheath, and the width of your stitch line. It helps to keep the stitches from being rubbed or cut as tools are placed in or removed from the sheath.

How can the straight razor be placed in or removed from the sheath? The mouth of the sheath appears to be narrower than the end of the handle. 

Edited by Rockoboy

Just now, Rockoboy said:

A welt would be a thin piece the same shape as the stitch line of the sheath, and the width of your stitch line. It helps to keep the stitches from being rubbed or cut as tools are placed in or removed from the sheath.

oh, ok... I got what you mean.

If that's the purpose it will not be needed. The blade will be closed on itself when in the sheath and there will be no contact of sharp edges with the leather or the stitch... a very neat idea for when I venture into making a field knife sheath, though!!

Again, thank you very much!

No problem. I am waiting to see the finished product. It all looks great so far.