ColoradoGirl

Tooling Detail Guidance Needed

Hello from Wyoming (name tells you I'm a transpant).  Need some guidance to tool this small detail I'm using as an onlay.  Horses mane, and all the nooks an crannies, are challenging me.  Will be using this logo onlayed/tooled onto smaller items, to include totes, headcovers, wallets, etc.  Hand painted, to date.  Mostly using canvas and chrome tanned leathers.  Size is no more than 4" high, as seen in pic.  Need to go down to 3".  Recommendations to find smallest tools, and techniques to consider.  I appreciate any help.

Tammy

ClubCoverCowboys.jpg

UWLicenseTag.jpg

Your articles might be canvas and chrome tanned leather, but your onlay will need to be made from vegtan. I am sure somebody with more knowledge than I, will soon tell you this again.

The logo you have displayed looks pretty good. The only slight defect (for want of a better term) is the cowboy's waist. It looks way to skinny. The printed logo shows it better, where his waistcoat vest is wider than his waist.

Barry King would be my source.  He makes his bevelers in some awfully small sizes which is what you need.  They are also steeper angled which means you will not be affecting surrounding areas. Look at his round bevelers, I can see several areas, especially in the mane, where they would really work well.  I would also look at making it a inverse figure, that is beveling to the inside of the figures.  Would make dying a whole lot easier.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Edited by terrymac
Additional comments

If this is to be used as a logo, maybe you'd think of investing in a die with all appropriate cuttings already laid out.  That way you could simply bevel where necessary, and could save lots of time and repetition.  If it's not, the go back to the original for locations of hair and other details, and get a modeling tool.  IMHO.

Leatherhead99 can make an logo to emboss for you.  Look for some of his posts in the "for sale" section.

I agree with Jaymack. Get one of these stamp makers to make you a stamp out of Delrin or similar so you can just stamp the whole thing in one shot and be done.

https://www.google.com/search?q=delrin+leather+stamps&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiK6Pv0_IXZAhVI22MKHR7FBDgQ_AUICygC&biw=1536&bih=733

I don't do much "small" stuff, but the previous poster seem to have steered you in the right direction.

Don't worry about being a transplant, if Colorado keeps it up, I'll be joining you up there. 

Not to rain on your idea but you mention putting the logo on many different small items. If you are planning on selling them, be careful because the "Steamboat" logo (the bucking horse and cowboy) are registered trademarks to the State of Wyoming and the University of Wyoming. The logo can be used but I believe you have to go through steps to legally do it. Here is a link to a site that discusses using the trademarked logo. http://www.uwyo.edu/uwlicensing/licensing-applications/index.html 

Good luck with it, Steamboat is a awesome logo!

To Wyowind, got it done, hence, exactly why I'm learning to do it right.  .  Thank you all.  I have thought about a die, and will check all the leads.  Inversion idea sure could make it better. So glad this is such a great forum for resources and coaching.

Tammy

25 minutes ago, ColoradoGirl said:

To Wyowind, got it done, hence, exactly why I'm learning to do it right.  .  Thank you all.  I have thought about a die, and will check all the leads.  Inversion idea sure could make it better. So glad this is such a great forum for resources and coaching.

Tammy

Alright! Way to go. I know they are pretty protective of it and didn't want to see you get into any potential legal spats...

Wyowind - they are indeed.  Had to provide an actual tooled piece before final approval.  Whew, I passed.  Protective heads up ALWAYS welcome.

T