Nice job on that belt.  I have never made a Ranger Belt. It is something I am going to have to try.  What weight leather did you use?

Rohn,

The billets and the strap are 8-9 ounce. The strap's double layer 8-9 ounce 'cause it needs to be stiff enough to hold up guns, knives and anything else the fellow I made it for wants to hang on it. 

The keeper's 7-8 ounce.

The strap can be a lighter leather or just lined with a lighter leather.

I'm planning on making a ranger belt for myself with just a single layer of 12-14 ounce for the strap. That should be just right to hold up my trousers and carry my ccw snubby.

Check out the build series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-CUyOfIuQI&list=PLQtTNBOy6Ky-qQyo2j2J7zdCyIvp02O-P

Edited by snubbyfan

Thanks a bunch for the information Snubby. I will certainly check out that series on Youtube.

That's an awesome belt.  You've inspired me.

The first belt I made, and still use, was a single layer (bought a tandy strap) tapered tip to host a ranger buckle set I've owned for a couple of decades. The buckle is solid sterling, made by an unidentified Navajo artisan, and given to me by my uncle who for many years had a  shop in Old Town Albuquerque.  When he gave it to me it came with a very nice lined and stitched belt and I never appreciated the craftsmanship of the belt until I tried to replace it.  That's what got me interested and started in leatherworking (purely as a hobby).  The buckle calls for better treatment than I'm giving it, and although I'm sure my skills will be challenged, it's time to take on a more serious ranger belt.

Thanks for sharing.