JeannieH

Zipper placement

Hi. Is there a tip or tools to help place zippers evenly and accurately in hand bags? When applied as closures at the top of the bag? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

This MLP4 model in the link is what I have used before in heavy marine canvas zippers prior to stitching.  I found it to be great, though expensive and I guess a reason the T-pins are my go to tool. With either method the removal at time of or after the stitching. Respectfully as mentioned I used and someday would like to have one. The clear double sided seam or even basting tape could be used for sure. The t pins are handy and several lengths the 2” is good for my canvas stuff but take a look at JoAnns possibly.

Good day

Floyd

http://www.markwellusa.com/product_p/mpl4m.htm

Thanks for all the replies! But I'm not talking about placing as far as adhesives/tape... I mean making sure the material is lined up evenly on the zipper. So if it's between two pieces of leather...is there a guide or tool to help glue/ tape both pieces in the same place so when you sew.. the stitching is the same distance from the edge on both sides. I hope this makes sense!

I've seen thin washi style tape used to space the zipper/glue/lining and then removed for stitching.

Ok that sounds like what I need. I am going to try making my own contraption with either a strip of leather or bag stiffener. Thanks! I will see if I can find what you are talking about.

On 03/02/2018 at 1:25 PM, JeannieH said:

Thanks for all the replies! But I'm not talking about placing as far as adhesives/tape... I mean making sure the material is lined up evenly on the zipper. So if it's between two pieces of leather...is there a guide or tool to help glue/ tape both pieces in the same place so when you sew.. the stitching is the same distance from the edge on both sides. I hope this makes sense!

I hate zipper installation:censored2: and I wish there was a magic tool to do what you say but as yet I haven't heard of it. AS a rule I make the under side a little closer to the middle of the zip as it is easy to end up too close to the edge when you are stitching and cant see it. Here in some pictures following I show some jigs that I use for making up the bag in the first picture.

DSC01553_resize.JPG

This next pic shows a drawing printed out with some bits of firm veg stuck to it. The aim is to get the lining and all of the following bit including the zip in exactly the right location.

DSC01554_resize.JPG

I didn't have handy a fully prepared lining but I think you will get the idea alright.

DSC01555_resize.JPG

After all of the padding and croc etc is glued down and in place the zipper is glued on the top side and attached to the centre stip shown below in cardboard. This then gets glued into place over the lining.

DSC01558_resize.JPG

In order to glue up the zip I make up a stick with a groove and hollow in it for the slide and with the clamps holding it in place I am able to neatly glue up the zip. The stick below is not the right length for the zip shown but again I think the idea is clear enough.

DSC01550_resize.JPG

DSC01549_resize.JPG

This pic below is a prototype and not stitched correctly but may help to understand the process somewhat.

DSC01556_resize.JPG

A tool like i have made below or a variation of can sometimes be of use when locating a zip into place.

DSC01560_resize.JPG

I hope that is of some help and I wish for you patience and luck. Brian

That video shows a fairly good procedure Gigi.Thanks for posting it. 

Thanks for all the tips! But neither of these will help me the way I make my bags. I drop in the lining, then adhere the zipper in between. So the inside is already sewn and the outside is sewn..just the closing of the bag is left. I will attach a pic from my phone if the size isn’t too big. I did try using tape..but it’s not ideal since it’s not thick to butt up your material against to make sure it’s in the right spot. I will try to make something to fit my needs! The bag in the pic isn’t leather..it’s cork fabric by the way. 

3768EA6C-7B67-4A52-9A51-8D43CB1D4F49.jpeg

I will add a pic of the bag I’m having trouble with. The top is curved with the zipper as the closure. It’s a different bag than the one in the pic I attached previously. 

Beautiful bag! :)

You are on your way to figuring this out. Can't wait to see what you come up with in the future! 

7 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

You are on your way to figuring this out. Can't wait to see what you come up with in the future! 

I finished the leather bag I was making. To place the leather on both sides of the zipper, I measured how much space I wanted from the teeth to the top of the leather..then I cut thick bag stiffener to that width and about 4 inches long. Then..lol I place masking tape down on my cutting board..put double sided tape down..placed stiffener on top..then cut. So now I can move it all around as I place the zipper. It’s working for now lol. I want to make something in the future..a tool. Something that would work for all types of zipper placing. To be continued lol!

Yes I have seen that but it’s specific for a zippered wallet. I’m just needing a general tool that would work with any placement. I ended up doing this....I payed a strip of masking tape down... then measured how much space I wanted between the teeth and the leather... I then cut a thick bag stiffener the exact width I measured... put double sided tape on it and stuck it to the masking tape... so I can just move that around my bag to make sure everything is spaced the same.

I think I understand what you're describing, but if you could get a picture up it would help my addled brain. 

I liked your other picture, with the smile.

Jeff

2 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I think I understand what you're describing, but if you could get a picture up it would help my addled brain. 

I liked your other picture, with the smile.

Jeff

Ok I will post a pic. It’s nothing special.

it took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about lol. I guess it was time for a serious picture because I have a lot of work ahead of me lol. Thanks though!