Instinctive

Needles for Singer 112W139

The manual for a recently acquired Singer 112W139 call for 126x9 needles which I understand are no longer available.

I am told that other models of 112W will take #135x17 needles.  Will these work in the 112W139 or what do I need to do to get needles i this thing.

Thanks.

I'd try some 126x3 needles, which apparently are the same as 126x9, according to this Groz-Beckert needle pack:

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 7.40.22 PM.png

The 126x3 needles are available online:  http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=NDL-126x3

Our trusty banner vendors may carry them, too. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 7.38.08 PM.png

2 hours ago, Uwe said:

I'd try some 126x3 needles, which apparently are the same as 126x9, according to this Groz-Beckert needle pack:

Thanks for this. New to machine sewing. I wonder how the round needle does in leather?

I would check if you probably already have  other machines using f.i. 135x17 needles and then setup this and all other machines with the same needle system. Advantage is you only have to stock 1 needle system and you can use the same needle in all your machines - IF the 135x17 needle works in your other machines.

When ever possible I setup may machines to 135x17 - my Pfaff 345, Singer 212G and Singer 34K which originally used a different needle system, are setup with 135x17. ;)

135x16 is the leather needle other than the tip its the same as the 135x17 needle.

Edited by Constabulary

9 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I would check if you probably already have  other machines using f.i. 135x17 needles and then setup this and all other machines with the same needle system. Advantage is you only have to stock 1 needle system and you can use the same needle in all your machines - IF the 135x17 needle works in your other machines.

When ever possible I setup may machines to 135x17 - my Pfaff 345, Singer 212G and Singer 34K which originally used a different needle system, are setup with 135x17. ;)

135x16 is the leather needle other than the tip its the same as the 135x17 needle.

Thank you for this. You advice got me thinking. The machine came from the estate of machine repair guy. I took a needle out. It's  a Muva 120 with a 1.95 mm shank so i'm thinking it's all ready been converted. I found this little chart that compares needle sizes http://ismacs.net/needle_and_shank/needle-cross-reference-chart-round-shank.html.

The 135x17 has a 2 mm shank and is exactly the same length as the Muva 120 that I have measured.

Gunna revive an old topic. My 112W-139 states it uses 135x17 needles, as can be seen in the pic. I ordered 135x17 and to my disgust the needles will not fit into the needle bar. Checked into the 126x3 mentioned above and it appears they are only available in 110. Was hoping for at least 120 (using 69 thread). Any ideas?

B6D23E0D-00C7-415F-84E5-AF2CAEBD50B7.jpeg

You probably can replace the needle holder if not frozen or is one piece with NB ex factory. I´m not sure in your case but the new NB have replaceable needle holder. If not replaceable buy a new gauge set with needle bar.

I´m pretty sure the nowadays needle holder will take 135x17 needles but better check with the dealers.

To your question about round needles in leather, maybe okay if it's soft leather but if its hard leather probably not so well.  The leather needles I've seen have a wedge or chisel shape that cuts through tough leather.  I just tried a round point vs a leather on some veg tan leather that is about 3/16 inch thick.  The round needle took a lot more force to punch through and then actually pulled out of the needle bar on the very first up stroke.  The leather needle punched right through and sewed without a problem.

We have a 112w-140 and 139.  I tried to convert the needle bar from a generic kit off that famous auction site and shipped from China and the kit did not fit on the 139.  We were able to put dbx1 in the machine with existing/stock needle bar and adjust the needlebar height.  If I remember correctly 135x17 was our first "want" but the shank was too big (although I may be getting mixed up with our 140 but don't think so....I do know we ended up using dbx1 in one of the machines because the smaller shank diameter.  dbx1 is available in a large assortment of tips including leather points from a quick google search.

Best regards,

Mike

And what in particular did not fit? The needle into the holder or the parts?

If the 112w139 gauge set needle holder is dedicated for 126x3 needles and 135x17 do not fit I would try a needle holder from a Singer 212 needle feed machine. They for sure take 135x17 as they have the same shank diameter as the original needle system and as mentioned before maybe changing out the needle bar as well. Thats at least what I would try.

A while ago I played with gauge sets a little bit. Maybe some is interested:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/80209-singer-212-112-double-needle-converting-into-split-needle/