keithski122

Skiver belt change

At work we have a fortuna skiver of the type pictured.Does anyone know how to change the short belt just to the right of the lever, this is not the motor belt.The forward pulleys are enclosed so you can't just fit a continuous belt without taking things apart.At the moment we are using a split belt however its not a great solution.

3472.jpg

On 2/3/2018 at 12:57 PM, keithski122 said:

At work we have a fortuna skiver of the type pictured.Does anyone know how to change the short belt just to the right of the lever, this is not the motor belt.The forward pulleys are enclosed so you can't just fit a continuous belt without taking things apart.At the moment we are using a split belt however its not a great solution.

3472.jpg

Did you ever find the answer to your question? I have the original manual for these machines if you want a pdf of it.

No I never did, the general consensus seems to sugest using a split belt with a joining staple.

A pdf of the manual would be fantastic as I'm still having huge problems getting it to work sucessfully.I don't often get the time to work on it though.

According to my manual the belt is:10x530 DIN 2215. However, my manual is for the V34S / V34P and V50S  / V50P type machines (not sure if yours is one of these). I would contact Fortuna directly and send them a photo of your machine with the model and serial numbers to confirm the part that you need. My machine has a removable cover that gives me access to all of the belts. The manual is a good 40-50 pages and is quite useful. I will post a pdf of it on the site when I get a chance.

If you haven't already, take a look at the tutorial videos on youtube also.

Hi Keithski122

I just want to hear how you solved he problem with the belt.

Cheers

DanishMan

Wow. I saw the title then looked and saw it was something I posted.

Easy fix although not very helpful to other people. After hours of messing about trying to get it to work nicely it got stuck in the deepest darkest corner of the workshop and I bought a secondhand  newer global machine.This one works really well without all the hassle of sharpening, twiddling this, twiddling that and still getting nowhere.

Edited by keithski122

I have four similar machines, that I have been working on.

I suppose the only way to replace the belt is to use a leather strap - or to remove the shaft - it takes 5-10 minutes, if you know what you are doing.

Is the old Fortuna for sale then?

Cheers

On 7/6/2018 at 11:03 AM, David Bruce said:

Did you ever find the answer to your question? I have the original manual for these machines if you want a pdf of it.

Good morning David,

I know that this is an old thread, but I was wondering (if you're still active on here and see this) whether I may be able to get a PDF copy of the manual. I believe my machine to be a clone of the v34 machine, and the manualwouldbe a great help. Thanks in advance.

Regards Noel 

When I started working with skiving machines, I sometimes used leather straps.

Now I use a 6 mm polyethylene belt. Much easier - you can weld the strap together, once fitted and it does not get longer with use - as is the case with a leather strap.

Brgds

Danishman