filipblaauw

First time using edge paint from Giardini

I've been using Giardini for a few year now and think its great. I prefer the semi dense over the dense. As always you need to start of with as clean/good an edge as possible. I apply a few coats, lightly sanding each one as I go to build up a key. I also use a heat iron to flatten it out a little. I find those 1" foam brushes great for applying it. 

FB25.jpg

I also prefer the Giardini 'Maxmatt' Semi-Dense Edge Paint and an Extra Matte Topcoat, colorless. The dense edge paint can be thinned with a bit of water.

I've found info about edge dyeing process using Giardini products on their website: http://www.leatheredgepaint.com/

Edited by gigi

Petewon, Gigi,

Curious, why do you prefer the Semi-Dense over the Dense? 

I've noticed the Dense one is very thick and it dries up too fast in the small plastic bottle cap where I put a bit of paint. I like the fact it dries fast on the leather though. Maybe I am too slow in applying the paint :) 

So I'm using the semi-dense one, with light sanding, 1 or 2 coats but I've noticed a big difference makes the colorless Extra Matte Topcoat, smoothing everything.

Edited by gigi

2 hours ago, Mokerson said:

Petewon, Gigi,

Curious, why do you prefer the Semi-Dense over the Dense? 

I just find Semi dense finishes better for me. I read a blog post that said that semi dense was better for hand application and dense was better for machine application. It does also say that dense has better adhesion on certain types of leathers. I must say I've use dense and semi extensively and never had adhesion issue with either. 

http://blog.leatheredgepaint.com/edge-paint/the-difference-between-maxmatt-dense-and-semi-dense/

Thanks for the link Petewon.  Always nice to read the experiences folks have with this stuff rather than what the manufacturers "sales-ified" presentation of the product says.  Great to hear you have not had any adhesion issues with either, though based on how the blog post reads I would imagine that the adhesive base coat they offer (can't remember what they call it) would be a solution for those leathers that give you issues?  Have you used that before Peteweon?

I have not used that specific product but I have read about it. It is called 'Basecoat' and also comes in dense or semi dense. I nearly bought some to try out but postage was quite pricey for just one bottle. I'll probably buy some the next time I place an order. I see they now sell the smaller 125mm bottles so I may place an order soon.

Here's a PDF with a bit of information regarding the '|Basecoat' and their suggested edge finishing process. :)

http://info.leatheredgepaint.com/hubfs/BASECOAT/Basecoat User Guide for LEather Edge Dyeing.pdf?utm_source=link&utm_campaign=BASECOAT GUIDE&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=BASECOAT GUIDE&utm_source=hs_automation&utm_medium=email&utm_content=41119689&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--hukOECxvGvfCTY8raKg-zubd1EeAN4X973DEtOzZKMkvyCSXGqzzbquRM0vSJ7R8kSrJbjS7p2rKlC35qkAxJgJAUDA&_hsmi=41119689

On 15/02/2018 at 9:16 AM, Petewon said:

I've been using Giardini for a few year now and think its great. I prefer the semi dense over the dense. As always you need to start of with as clean/good an edge as possible. I apply a few coats, lightly sanding each one as I go to build up a key. I also use a heat iron to flatten it out a little. I find those 1" foam brushes great for applying it. 

FB25.jpg

Hello there,

Do you buy your Giardini product in UK or import it?

I have looked for it without success

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

Hello there,

Do you buy your Giardini product in UK or import it?

I have looked for it without success

Hi, I buy it directly from Giardini in Italy. Shipping has allways been realy fast.

Hello all, I recently bought some Gardini edge paint, but I balked at paying €29 for the roller pen, and instead paid about €6 for one from China, thinking they were all probably the same. However, in my tests, the pen would stick and not roll, therefore dragging through the paint and messing it all up.

Does anyone have experience of this? Should I have got a more expensive version of the pen? I was trying to apply the paint to a bevelled and burnished edge, so perhaps that was an issue as the point of contact of the pen was very small, and also on smooth leather, so less traction.

I'm going to keep experimenting with this, not bevelling and burnishing for example but I'd welcome some input before I fork out more money on another pen. :-)

Good looking work OP,  by the way.

On 2/6/2018 at 9:16 AM, bgl500 said:

I've been using the Vernis edge paint from Rocky Mountain and really like it. I don't burnish either. You want some of the paint to penetrate the leather and burnishing will prevent this. I lightly sand to shape the edge and then apply the paint. I also lightly sand between coats and usually apply between 3-4 coats. Cheers.

I just ordered some of this do you have some pics of your edge work so I can know what to expect when I try it? Thanks!

6 hours ago, Simeon54 said:

Hello all, I recently bought some Gardini edge paint, but I balked at paying €29 for the roller pen, and instead paid about €6 for one from China, thinking they were all probably the same. However, in my tests, the pen would stick and not roll, therefore dragging through the paint and messing it all up.

Does anyone have experience of this? Should I have got a more expensive version of the pen? I was trying to apply the paint to a bevelled and burnished edge, so perhaps that was an issue as the point of contact of the pen was very small, and also on smooth leather, so less traction.

I'm going to keep experimenting with this, not bevelling and burnishing for example but I'd welcome some input before I fork out more money on another pen. :-)

I have the Giardini pen which I got in their kit. Don't like it. It doesn't always roll very well.

This is my favorite:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32816492408.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32816492408&productSubject=32816492408&shortkey=6VbYJbmu&addresstype=600

On 11/6/2018 at 5:24 AM, niakulah said:

I have the Giardini pen which I got in their kit. Don't like it. It doesn't always roll very well.

This is my favorite:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32816492408.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32816492408&productSubject=32816492408&shortkey=6VbYJbmu&addresstype=600

Thanks for your response and for confirming my fears: I don't want to shell out €30 for another pen, if it does the same thing. 
If I understand that pen you link to doesn't roll. I'm a little afraid of it, tbh but guess I'll have to just check it out and try. Thanks for the tip!

2 hours ago, Simeon54 said:

Thanks for your response and for confirming my fears: I don't want to shell out €30 for another pen, if it does the same thing. 
If I understand that pen you link to doesn't roll. I'm a little afraid of it, tbh but guess I'll have to just check it out and try. Thanks for the tip!

It rolls. Very smoothly I might add. I believe it has a ball bearing inside.

On 11/5/2018 at 6:28 PM, myjtp said:

I just ordered some of this do you have some pics of your edge work so I can know what to expect when I try it? Thanks!

I'll look around and see if I have any pics but don't believe I do. There's definitely a learning curve to it and I'm sure more than one way to achieve a nice edge. I get my best edge by continually sanding between coats with fine grit sandpaper and normally use the KS Blade applicator to apply the paint.

I have not tried it yet myself, but check out the Makers Leather Supply video on youtube about their edge paint.  he talks about a lollypop edger that he got off of Etsy that may foot the bill for what you (op) are looking for.

On 11/5/2018 at 11:24 PM, Simeon54 said:

There a a few things you could try to make it roll smoother.

Open the pen and try to lubricate the places there the core of the pen rotates, I would also suggest to use some kind of lubricant that is more like grease and not liquid. My English is not that great when it comes to machine related topics, I do not now the exact name for it. The idea is that the grease like lubricant will stay in place and not evaporate, at least not that fast.

Another idea is to take the core of the pen and use just that, as you hold it in you hand you can grip it to rotate slowly or release your grip to rotate more freely. The outer shell of the pen is there just to help with the grip.

Has anyone tried sanding their clear gloss? I've used it effectively on thin leathers as a final top coat after the paint is totally smooth and dry , but just tried it on a thicker leather and on the larger surface, it ever so slightly dripped and finished unevenly. Wondering if I could sand with 600 or higher grit and reapply. I think I also need to thin it down with water so I can apply a thinner coat.

Save your money and let's use acrylic paint it's the same product but not at gold price....

i use acryl paint for this bag,it's works well:

https://tradisign.blogspot.com/2019/04/small-clutch-bag-in-progress.html

https://tradisign.blogspot.com/2019/04/finitions-des-tranches.html

Edited by paloma

Unless your pictures depict the bag's edges before sanding, I don't think it works as well as you think it does.

How do you thicken the acrylic paint? 
I'm all for this if it works, but seeing as people have spent some time to specialize acrylic paint to work specifically for edges I think there might be more to it than just popping open a tube of Windsor&Newton.

25 minutes ago, robs456 said:

Unless your pictures depict the bag's edges before sanding, I don't think it works as well as you think it does.

How do you thicken the acrylic paint? 
I'm all for this if it works, but seeing as people have spent some time to specialize acrylic paint to work specifically for edges I think there might be more to it than just popping open a tube of Windsor&Newton.

Dear Sir,

you're free to believe and think what you want, but I'm not a liar, if I say it works and well, it's because it works, after.....

18 minutes ago, paloma said:

Dear Sir,

you're free to believe and think what you want, but I'm not a liar, if I say it works and well, it's because it works, after.....

Sir,
You come here and show us an example of very uneven edges with splotches on the sides and tell us all we're idiots for using edge paint. 
As I said, I'm all for it IF IT WORKS, but nothing you showed has proven it works.
Please show us your method in detail. Which products do you use? Are they 'flexible'? Do you thicken the acrylic paint before you apply it? In that case how? Drying time before sanding? Will it work by heating (fileteuse)? Etc.
You may be on to great things but don't come from nowhere with a "let's use acrylic paint it's the same product" when I know for a fact Giardini is quite a bit different from my Angelus acrylics.
So please, tell us more about how I can use my Angelus popsicle green to get edges like 3 layers of Giardini Semi-Dense.
Also, I don't want to come off as hostile, I'm really interested in seeing this work, and how it works.
Thanks.

37 minutes ago, robs456 said:

Sir,
You come here and show us an example of very uneven edges with splotches on the sides and tell us all we're idiots for using edge paint. 
As I said, I'm all for it IF IT WORKS, but nothing you showed has proven it works.
Please show us your method in detail. Which products do you use? Are they 'flexible'? Do you thicken the acrylic paint before you apply it? In that case how? Drying time before sanding? Will it work by heating (fileteuse)? Etc.
You may be on to great things but don't come from nowhere with a "let's use acrylic paint it's the same product" when I know for a fact Giardini is quite a bit different from my Angelus acrylics.
So please, tell us more about how I can use my Angelus popsicle green to get edges like 3 layers of Giardini Semi-Dense.
Also, I don't want to come off as hostile, I'm really interested in seeing this work, and how it works.
Thanks.

Hey @robs456 I think you might already know that you have as much chance of pushing excrement up a steep hill with a pointy stick than getting that Angelus  to iron in. I checked your insta in your signature link and looks to me like you you got it pretty well sorted already. Nice paint work too BTW.;)