filipblaauw

First time using edge paint from Giardini

I just got some edge paint from Giardini (Italy). Until now I have used Fiebings Egde coat, but I never seemed to get any good results with it. Here's my first items using the Semi Dense tan color. Two coats, each of them sanded. Then a coat of protecting gloss. All is sealed together with a final coat of buffed beeswax.

The edge feels a lot smoother than anything I have achieved before, but I still feel there's a way to go to get it even and without bubbles/cracks.

Interested in hearing other tips about egde finishing. I do like a burnished egde, but the painted does look appealing to me as well. Happy to hear your inputs!

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

photo 5.JPG

I think it looks great. I too am a fan of burnished edges over painted edges but those look really good. I've thought about getting some but have resisted so far opting for straight burnished edges.

I think your painted edges look very good!  I have been using Giardini to edge paint for about 9 months now and I think it does a great job.  I normally burnish my edges and then paint them using the roller paint tool from Tandy.  Normally two coats of paint with sanding in between coats, then burnish the painted edge and follow up with wax.   

I painted the edge on an eyeglass case that I carry in my back pocket constantly and it looks about the same as the day I finished it - no cracking or peeling!

Gary

@garypl I also tried burnishing first, but it then felt like the first coat of paint had too little rough surface to grip on to. Some places I was able to peel off the paint. But I will try to burnish the painted egde after two coats and see if that will give an even smoother edge.

And by burnishing you mean with a hand slicker, not an electrical crease tool?

Thanks for commenting!

Edited by filipblaauw

59 minutes ago, filipblaauw said:

@garypl I also tried burnishing first, but it then felt like the first coat of paint had too little rough surface to grip on to. Some places I was able to peel off the paint. But I will try to burnish the painted egde after two coats and see if that will give an even smoother edge.

And by burnishing you mean with a hand slicker, not an electrical crease tool?

Thanks for commenting!

Yes, I use a wood slicker by hand to burnish...

Did you let the first coat dry completely after the first coat?  I have never had any paint peel off.  I dilute the paint about  20% with distilled water.

very smooth, I've only ever seen black edge paint, but I like that tan.

Edited by Jake907

Looks pretty good so far.

I use Fenice and paint just about all of my work now. 

When using paint:

I don't burnish at all - cut or sand your edges as even as possible.

I do not bevel my edges. I use a Regad electric creaser.

I do about 4 coats with sanding in between each coat. Using 220, 400, 800 and 1500 grits.

Paint and sand until you have no visible seams, bubbles and cracks.

I finish with paraffin wax and buffing.

I prefer a matte finish paint.

Hope this helps some, keep experimenting.

Thanks for comments and helpful tips!

I've been using the Vernis edge paint from Rocky Mountain and really like it. I don't burnish either. You want some of the paint to penetrate the leather and burnishing will prevent this. I lightly sand to shape the edge and then apply the paint. I also lightly sand between coats and usually apply between 3-4 coats. Cheers.

On 2/5/2018 at 2:38 AM, thefanninator said:

I don't burnish at all - cut or sand your edges as even as possible.

I do not bevel my edges. I use a Regad electric creaser.

I do about 4 coats with sanding in between each coat. Using 220, 400, 800 and 1500 grits.

Paint and sand until you have no visible seams, bubbles and cracks.

I finish with paraffin wax and buffing.

Yeah, for the Giardini the edges should be rough with no bevels. Then the first layer will stick better.
But what drying times do you use?

9 hours ago, robs456 said:

Yeah, for the Giardini the edges should be rough with no bevels. Then the first layer will stick better.
But what drying times do you use?

I give it at least 30 mins but it depends on the temperature in my garage.

I have tried three or four of the edge paints, Giardini is definitely my fav.

I use a clear primer, let it dry for several hours or over night, sand with 600 grit, no bevel, apply 2 coats of the paint with tapered, grooved, metal roller.

No bubbles, dirt, etc. Smooth as a newborn babies..........   hands. lol

BTW: I have a kit of theirs in the colors. Even have one that is GOLD flecks.

Ferg

Edited by Ferg

2 hours ago, Ferg said:

BTW: I have a kit of theirs in the colors. Even have one that is GOLD flecks.

Ferg

Ferg, where did you get the sample kit?  I spoke with the company in Italy and they pointed me to Campbell Randall, where I bought some black edge paint, but they didn’t have much inventory at the time.

Gary

3 hours ago, thefanninator said:

I give it at least 30 mins but it depends on the temperature in my garage.

Thanks, I do 30 mins too. After 3 coats I smooth it with a heated iron, then sand w 600 paper, apply another coat, wait 24 hours then sand and apply another coat, then buff.

garypl

I bought my kit from the company directly. Probably been a year and a half.

There are eighteen standard colors with formulae for one hundred more. It is great stuff.

BTW: I think it cost about $350 US. Their shipping time was only a few days.

Ferg

heat burnishing, sanding and edge paint...repeat repeat 

I burnish with Gum Trag first to get a baby-smooth edge. I use a dye marker with the color of dye I want to darken the edge. Then I use Fiebing's Dura Edge Premium Edge Finish...3 to 4 coats using a heat gun (until dry to the touch) in between coats. I use it on all my holster sets to include my personal holster sets. This stuff is tough and looks good on holsters to give the edges a professional finish but,....the downside is that it only comes in black or dark brown. Once the last coat is dry to the touch...the holster of magazine holder is ready to use....no waiting to dry overnight. I have yet to hear one complaint from any of my customers on edge coat failure.

For those in the UK the Identity Store have started doing their own brand of this type of edge coating. I have used on a few items such as watch straps and found it really good. It also comes in smaller 125ml bottles.

5 hours ago, Ferg said:

garypl

There are eighteen standard colors with formulae for one hundred more. It is great stuff.

Ferg

Thanks Ferg - what size were the bottles?  I think I paid @$37 for a 1 qt bottle from Campbell Randall.

Gary

This is one of those applications that folks determine what and how they like.

I don't like messing with the heat and I don't burnish. I even use it on dog harness.

These are 250ml bottles. My kit is quite extensive actually. I think maybe it was a promotion for the product.

I put small amounts of the paint into small glass containers with a tight cap. Large containers aren't opened nearly as often.

There are two sets of mixing apparatus in the kit as well as two of the roller applicators.

I try to keep things very clean.

Ferg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

53 minutes ago, Ferg said:

This is one of those applications that folks determine what and how they like.

I don't like messing with the heat and I don't burnish. I even use it on dog harness.

These are 250ml bottles. My kit is quite extensive actually. I think maybe it was a promotion for the product.

I put small amounts of the paint into small glass containers with a tight cap. Large containers aren't opened nearly as often.

There are two sets of mixing apparatus in the kit as well as two of the roller applicators.

I try to keep things very clean.

Ferg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

That is a really nice set - I am going to look into whether this is still available.

Thanks!

On 2/8/2018 at 10:29 AM, Ferg said:

garypl

Ferg

Hey Ferg,

Did you try the Semi-Dense or only the Dense?

Edited by Mokerson
Mistake in post

Only the dense. I don't think I have ever done more than three applications.

Ferg

Does anyone here use gum tragacanth when they burnish?

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 5:54 AM, DV8DUG said:

Does anyone here use gum tragacanth when they burnish?

I have some gum tragacanth that I am planning to try on the back of some fish skin leather. Its fairly rough and hairy at the moment, and I am hoping it will smooth it down.