DonInReno

Nicer thread stand?

Sitting in front of a well built machine, cutting super nice materials with scissors that rival the quality of 99% of the best finish carpentry tools, one thing always seemed out of place - that dang stamped out thread stand that seemed like it came out of a Walmart box.  

I searched for a few hours online before giving up and starting to gather parts.  Most thread stand projects are more "build a thread stand for less than $1" and less focused on something good looking and solid.

Some 1/2" plexiglas from a buffet sneeze guard, two 1/4" diameter hinge pins, 1/4" steel rod, some shaft collars, a couple of 1/4" shackles, a 5/8" steel rod, an arm off a commercial door closer and a polished aluminum water pump pulley cover from the clearance bin at a hotrod supply shop. Lol

This is the first version - it's solid, but there are stop collars with much better looks and I'd probably use roll pins in place of the 1/4" collars next time. The arm could be brazed to a collar eliminating the second one.  I heated the sides of the plexiglass too much and that caused the bubbles - I should have polished the plexiglass more and the edges would be nearly clear.  

Anyone have a thread stand project they want to share?

image.jpeg

Edited by DonInReno

Pretty classy with that nice polished steel (would look a bit out of place next to my machines :lol:). I find the bog-standard ones more than adequate for my needs, but maybe one day.....

No shmancy is too fancy.

Lol - thanks guys - I was looking at a machined and ground shaft and thought that looked cool so I spun these rods with some fine sandpaper. 

Wait until Mjolnir sees this! He could go to town with one of these.

....and the acrylic matched the bobbin winder.....and here's the shaft on a rough speed reducer mockup 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I built this one a couple weeks ago for a Singer 31-15 I refurbished.  I had the base and spool platform.  I made the rest from a rain gauge I found at Hobby Lobby.  It works just fine.

thread stand.jpg

27067124_1518108428284409_2926078190282006488_n.jpg

Edited by ndnchf

Nice!

Thanks. I was fortunate to spot the rain gauge while wandering around Hobby Lobby with my wife. It came with two hummingbirds, but I only used one. It adds a little whimsey to it :-)

That's an interesting idea, although not much use to me as my meagre supply of thread is moved between different machines.