Nekomimimaid23

Help repurpose thrift store leather :D

Hello everyone! I am fairly new at leather craft.  To this point I have made a few pouches, belts, journals and delved into leather carving - but I've always used veg-tan fresh leather.  I found a brief case at a thrift store yesterday (covered in dust and quite lonely).  I really liked the style of it, and would like to modify it (smaller mainly) into a handbag.  So in taking on this challenge, I've run into some conundrums as aspected haha.   As I mentioned I've never worked on old leather, and this leather does appear quite thirsty.  But also appeared to be a moderate quality bag as far as machine made goes.  It doesn't appear to have a thick finishing layer, the moment I spritzed some water on the bag the leather soaked it up.  Photos below (first 3 original bag, last 2 since desconstruction).

My main two questions (at this point) are: 

1) glue...ideas on removal?  The bag was originally partitioned into 2 compartments, I'd like 1 larger compartment for the handbag.  So I basically just need to get rid of 1 strip of old glue down the middle.

2) cracking...  I'd like to bend the leather in 1/2 where the "<=>" shaped leather pieces are positioned.  On first inspection of the leather in the area I plan to bend, I noticed some cracking :/ (prior to me attempting to bend).  Any thoughts on how I can prep this leather to accommodate bending/minimize further cracking?

Thank you so much for any advice you can lend me in this endeavor! 

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

3 minutes ago, Nekomimimaid23 said:

Hello everyone! I am fairly new at leather craft.  To this point I have made a few pouches, belts, journals and delved into leather carving - but I've always used veg-tan fresh leather.  I found a brief case at a thrift store yesterday (covered in dust and quite lonely).  I really liked the style of it, and would like to modify it (smaller mainly) into a handbag.  So in taking on this challenge, I've run into some conundrums as aspected haha.   As I mentioned I've never worked on old leather, and this leather does appear quite thirsty.  But also appeared to be a moderate quality bag as far as machine made goes.  It doesn't appear to have a thick finishing layer, the moment I spritzed some water on the bag the leather soaked it up.  Photos below (first 3 original bag, last 2 since desconstruction).

My main two questions (at this point) are: 

1) glue...ideas on removal?  The bag was originally partitioned into 2 compartments, I'd like 1 larger compartment for the handbag.  So I basically just need to get rid of 1 strip of old glue down the middle.

2) cracking...  I'd like to bend the leather in 1/2 where the "<=>" shaped leather pieces are positioned.  On first inspection of the leather in the area I plan to bend, I noticed some cracking :/ (prior to me attempting to bend).  Any thoughts on how I can prep this leather to accommodate bending/minimize further cracking?

Thank you so much for any advice you can lend me in this endeavor! 

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

Welcome!

Removing old glue can be a problem.  Try a solvent and see if it softens the glue, but realistically you might be better off covering it with a lining leather.

To bend the leather and minimize cracking, try wetting it thoroughly.  You will know pretty quickly if this will eliminate the cracking.  I would give it a treatment with neatsfoot oil once you are through wetting and bending it and allowing the leather to dry completely.

Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Gary

Thank you so much for your reply! Great idea with a lining haha, ill keep that in my back pocket.  

When I wet it last night, I was able to bend the main portion of the leather without any cracking.  The only part that was giving me trouble while wet were those  <=> pieces.  And if it turns out they are the only ones that give me trouble, they might go....depends on how long my patience holds out hahaha.  I've never used neatsfoot oil but will definitely give that a try also.

1) Could you be more specific on the type of solvent you recommend?  (brand name or ingredient?)

2) Do I apply the neatsfoot oil while the leather is wet?   When you say wet > oil > dry, is that something I can repeat or is it something I should do only once when I've positioned the leather how I want prior to stitching? 

Ill definitely post pics! 

3 minutes ago, Nekomimimaid23 said:

Thank you so much for your reply! Great idea with a lining haha, ill keep that in my back pocket.  

When I wet it last night, I was able to bend the main portion of the leather without any cracking.  The only part that was giving me trouble while wet were those  <=> pieces.  And if it turns out they are the only ones that give me trouble, they might go....depends on how long my patience holds out hahaha.  I've never used neatsfoot oil but will definitely give that a try also.

1) Could you be more specific on the type of solvent you recommend?  (brand name or ingredient?)

2) Do I apply the neatsfoot oil while the leather is wet?   When you say wet > oil > dry, is that something I can repeat or is it something I should do only once when I've positioned the leather how I want prior to stitching? 

Ill definitely post pics! 

1. Only thing I can think of to remove something like Barge cement is lacquer thinner or acetone - both very flammable and nasty fumes, so use care when handling them.  If it is water based glue, l am not certain what solvent will work - never tried to remove it.

2. Apply NFO to dry leather.  If you wet the leather, let it dry completely and then apply NFO to the grain (smooth) side and don’t overdo it - you can always apply more but once you put too much on it can make the leather mushy.  If you are going to dye the leather, let the dye dry completely and then apply NFO.  Good luck!

Gary

Ok...so I made a run to the store and picked up several things :D and tested on a bit of the leather that I won't be using in the handbag. I decided to post this with photos (12 hr post products) below as they might help someone else in the future.  I didn't really find anything else like this on the internet/forum.  Not sure what is in some of these products...so not sure if they will damage leather long term :/. 

1) Goof off (acetone +?) - worked on glue (5/10) , moderate staining on grain side

2) Goo Gone (?) - amazing at glue removal (10/10), stained leather - also found out it says don't use on leather (after the fact) :/

3) wd40 (mineral spirits + mystery) - great at glue removal (8/10), mild to mod staining of leather

4) kiwi suede cleaner (?)- nothing for the glue (0/10), but made the suede fluffy

5) eraser - minimal results with glue (1/10), no damage to grain 

6) tried saddle soap on grain side where stains were- no help for stains

7) tried kiwi leather lotion - minimal darkening of grain

8) tried neatsfoot  oil on grain side where the stains from goo gone/goof off/ and wd40 were applied - neatsfoot oil darkening was lighter than stains from other products

9) Also tried corn starch on grain side stains- no help

My plan:

- try to find way to remove glue (haha...); - clean leather with kiwi suede cleaner +/- wire brush/saddle soap on grain side; - dye if needed (would rather not dye if possible); - condition leather with leather lotion (+/- neatsfoot oil if i can't bend without it); - cut and form wet leather, make holes etc, let dry; - weldwood contact cement (dry to tacky) then stitch together; - finish up with neatsfoot oil/leatherbalm with atom wax (then buff leather and work on edges)

...phew...  Any advice on any of the above hahahahahahahha...?  So far I'm thinking I might go with wd40 for glue removal but as it soaks through the leather I wanted to know if anyone knows if it will cause damage to the leather with time?  I have seen wd40 recommended for glue removal in the forums.  

IMG_1225 (1).jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1226 (1).jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

Edited by Nekomimimaid23

I would not use wd40 on leather.  In my opinion, the best way to fix the glue issue is just put a thin piece of lining leather inside (or a fabric liner)

Gary

holy cow! I had just about given up on removing the glue------and thought let me just try  -one- more thing.  I took some tweezers and with a little pressure rubbed it flat edge side down....bam  glue came off!!!  (oh forgot: I also heated up the spot just barely with a hairdryer prior). And I've been able to use the wire brush to fluff the suede back up.

Prior to the glue resolution, I'd chosen not to cover it up because I like the look of the suede inside - thank you for all the advice you've given me.  

Now...isn't this just like a girl: I was thinking about how I will be stitching down the center anyway because there are already holes there....and how cute it would be to have a pop of color/strip of leather down the middle when I open the bag....so I might end up covering that strip with grain leather despite finding a glue resolution hahahahahaha..  But I'm still happy to of had the adventure! I'll post pics when its finished! =^.^=

Edited by Nekomimimaid23

1 hour ago, Nekomimimaid23 said:

holy cow! I had just about given up on removing the glue------and thought let me just try  -one- more thing.  I took some tweezers and with a little pressure rubbed it flat edge side down....bam  glue came off!!!  (oh forgot: I also heated up the spot just barely with a hairdryer prior). And I've been able to use the wire brush to fluff the suede back up.

Prior to the glue resolution, I'd chosen not to cover it up because I like the look of the suede inside - thank you for all the advice you've given me.  

Now...isn't this just like a girl: I was thinking about how I will be stitching down the center anyway because there are already holes there....and how cute it would be to have a pop of color/strip of leather down the middle when I open the bag....so I might end up covering that strip with grain leather despite finding a glue resolution hahahahahaha..  But I'm still happy to of had the adventure! I'll post pics when its finished! =^.^=

So glad you figured out an easy resolution!  Look forward to seeing the finished bag.

Gary