ComputerDoctor

Some of my work. First started in November 2017.

Here's some more:25348391_536058743446200_6369951338605339975_n.thumb.jpg.a860b33ca436d94b8dd2c3a96e0f6beb.jpg25395752_536059946779413_1612016191975710872_n.thumb.jpg.66a311be5fa30dba3d1723b44874330d.jpg25442751_536059573446117_2743866634653682718_n.jpg.fb4be7ff033abff313da10630f9582f4.jpg25353754_536058796779528_3166992229604731162_n.thumb.jpg.fa528360c498bd55c5e1c22726656c04.jpgIMG_1906.JPG.ad0cd9b1a0493a58aea572dc0b7e54a0.JPGIMG_1907.JPG.6f0928d0f31271d7d5128fcddab55f22.JPGIMG_1908.JPG.106482dfc163625c047d95ff282288a5.JPGIMG_1927.JPG.28e4116fcfbd82d37e4bd6b09f28d7ed.JPG

looks like you're off to a great start! I like your style.

Nice collection you made.  Question thought,.......what's the make and model of that yellow grip jobber?

"what's the make and model of that yellow grip jobber?"  Quote

The 'yellow holster' houses a Colt Gold Cup National Match, 45 acp, in stainless steel.

It's fun but it sure takes time and concentration. Hands and fingers get sore and discolored and sometimes I have to rest my hands.

I have made lots of other things besides holster's, like knife scabbards, wallets, change purses, checkbook covers,artistic  test pieces, trying different glues, stains, dyes, oil polishes, burnishing mediums, edge paints and different color water dyes and burnishing agents, a Kindle Fire carrier and a beautiful ledger for my Son for Christmas. The tooling for his name alone took me almost 4 hours!

Next is a large lined leather purse! I make my own paper pattern's and if it works then I have my design ready to go.

As you can undoubtedly see, I hand stitch everything and I thank GOD for superglue, clamps and heavy duty blue surgical gloves.

I work on my customers computers for a while and then move over to a different set of desk's and leather work for a while! Lots of fun!

Sam:)

20 minutes ago, ComputerDoctor said:

"what's the make and model of that yellow grip jobber?"  Quote

The 'yellow holster' houses a Colt Gold Cup National Match, 45 acp, in stainless steel.

It's fun but it sure takes time and concentration. Hands and fingers get sore and discolored and sometimes I have to rest my hands.

I have made lots of other things besides holster's, like knife scabbards, wallets, change purses, checkbook covers,artistic  test pieces, trying different glues, stains, dyes, oil polishes, burnishing mediums, edge paints and different color water dyes and burnishing agents, a Kindle Fire carrier and a beautiful ledger for my Son for Christmas. The tooling for his name alone took me almost 4 hours!

Next is a large lined leather purse! I make my own paper pattern's and if it works then I have my design ready to go.

As you can undoubtedly see, I hand stitch everything and I thank GOD for superglue, clamps and heavy duty blue surgical gloves.

I work on my customers computers for a while and then move over to a different set of desk's and leather work for a while! Lots of fun!

1 hour ago, micktx said:

Nice collection you made.  Question thought,.......what's the make and model of that yellow grip jobber?

@ComputerDoctor I believe that @micktx was asking about the make and model of whatever has the yellow handle with brown spots (in the first picture), I am a bit curious myself.

Edited by Jake907

37 minutes ago, Jake907 said:

@ComputerDoctor I believe that @micktx was asking about the make and model of whatever has the yellow handle with brown spots (in the first picture), I am a bit curious myself.

if tis what I think it is I would like to know how to disarm someone coming at me with one.. I think Monty Python have a how to video on that.

ComputerDoctor you certainly have a style all your own which is intriguing... I see lots of maple leaves... you could almost pass for a Canadian!

May West once said: "Is that a Banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me" :)

Thanks Folk's! I am trying different approaches and techniques all the time!

I want to always do things in a logical sequence so I don't keep repeating: "Why did I do that??" :)

Plinkercases, Canada would be much to cold for this Southern California Boy! It was 8 degrees as I drove in to work today and Missouri is cold enough! I also remember SGT Preston and the Yukon and his dog King was one of my favorite shows though? :)

Sam

My major critiques have to do with safety. I'm not in favor of an exposed trigger on the XD, as snags can occur, which could cause a discharge. Also, the retaining straps on the 1911 holsters depress the grip safety, which removes one layer of safety built into the weapon.

I'm not sure about that retaining strap through the trigger guard on the Smith revolver. I'm not understanding the point of routing it that way.

Stylistically, I like them. I'm more in favor of tighter fitting molded holster, but I can see the value in a more loose holster with well-done tooling.

I am ex-Military retiree who also owned a Gun Store for 4 years in California and I reloaded and shot around 3 to 4 hundred rounds a week through MANY revolvers and semi-auto pistols, so I too am concerned about the safe handling of firearms.:)

Thanks for your concern, however, all semi-autos are carried with no round in the chamber and in all of the pictures, it would be impossible to fire the weapon, even intentionally. more less accidentally. The strap on the revolver is not in front of the trigger but in back of it.

I'm surprised banana guns are legal in California... Hehe

All jokes aside, looks like you found what you like to do. Keep it up!

Here's a few initial pieces that I experimented with; the first is a Kindle fire sheath (not finished) and the second is just a tooling and stain exercise that my wife loves for some reason:

IMG_1786 (1).JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

Edited by ComputerDoctor

A few more;  First is the Kindle sheath collage. Second is a check book carrier, still wet from stain. third is a big heavy Ledger that I made for my son and inside it has pockets on each side for a ring binder, paperwork and stationary:

6748F8CD-FB82-45BC-A390-F0DD7BF785DE.JPG

F8FEDFF4-69D2-4372-B7D0-2ED436CA642D.JPG

E852664D-BCF7-4375-848A-F7E616127C54.JPG

Edited by ComputerDoctor

Nice work for someone so new to the craft!

Question: that blue pad you have on your work table - I've noticed many leather workers have something similar. What are they called, and where can I get one?

That is a self healing cutting pad. JoAnn Fabrics for one. Most any fabric store would have them.

Ferg

Thank you, Ferg! I think there's a sewing shop somewhere nearby. I'll look into buying one.

Nice, looks like you been having fun doing it too, so that makes it even better!

Thanks Folks for your kind words and encouragement!

Here is my first attempt at making a purse for my Wife:) No patterns bought but I do get ideas from people like you and on Youtube and other WWW places.

I make small paper patterns to test joints and bends, etc.

Sam :)

IMG_1972.JPG

The quest for a purse continues!

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

Lookin good.  Beware, those binder clips can leave marks.  I've been known to put a layer of thin leather between them and my project to keep it safe and sound!

YinTx

I like your style. Very original designs on the holsters.  I understand about getting tired. I can pound leather, form and dye, but agter 2 ,  3  hours I gotta take a break. I have never made a holster, but you do have a talent. keep up the good work

Thank Yin Tx and Jack, I'm enjoying myself!

Yes, clips can leave indentations especially if the leather is wet!

Here's a few more of my 'Purse' project but now I realize it's more of a mans 'Carry bag.' It is heavy, maybe to heavy for my wife. I might even use it on my Motorcycles luggage rack:)

I am home now, getting ready to hand sew, which can also tire one out.

Sam

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

All stitched up and nowhere to go:)

Well that's enough for tonight! I only brought the work home to hand stitch, so that's done! Hands are a little sore:)

IMG_1988.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

I like the placement of the studs. That thing will be bulletproof!!

Thanks Brian, it is pretty stout :)

Tomorrow I will start some tooling and then staining:)

Here's a few more:

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG