ComputerDoctor

Some of my work. First started in November 2017.

Well, the project is coming together nicely but far from done. Here are a few more pictures in sequence. More tooling, pouches, handles and strap to come. First coat of 'WHEAT' dye rubbed in. Fun:)

Over all size is 14 x 14 inches and 4 inches wide.

Sam

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

Edited by ComputerDoctor

I found another Holster I made recently :)

Sam

IMG_2007.JPG

I made and fitted a carrying strap and a couple of snap fittings today:

Sam:)

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2009.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

Did you tool the carry strap?  If so, it looks deserving of a close up...

YinTx

The carry strap was made from a 'Belt kit,' that I had bought and rediscovered yesterday morning and it was already tooled so I decided to utilize it. However, it did make me feel like I was cheating since I had cut, tooled, dyed and fabricated everything else:(

I'm not happy with the 'STRAW' dye because it seems almost not much darker than the leather itself so after I tool some more designs, I'll finish up with some darker brown dye as I have several colors. Then I will treat the entire thing with 'Mink oil,' or a similar agent to soften and preserve the thing.

Anyway, between fixing computers and IT service work,  www.carthageelectronics.com  I find I really enjoy the mental exercise of thinking about what to do next!

I am meeting a customer today to discuss a 'custom' holster he wants me to make for him and then to inspect an old holster in need of repairs!

Praise GOD, life is good:)

Sam

I had a Customer bring his Smith & Wesson, 460 Mag, 8.5 inch stainless steel pistol to my Farm to tell me about a custom holster that he wants me to make for the piece!:)

This will be quite a artistic and mechanical task for me since the customer is small of stature and this 72 ounce revolver is too heavy for just a typical belt loop holster. He wants a combination double shoulder harness, something like heavy duty suspenders attached to a belt, with provisions for 20 cartridges. He also wants the pistol to be able to be drawn quickly and very silently from a 'side opening' with no snaps or velcro to make noise when he draws down on a 500lb wild boar or ferel hog.

This is the most powerful handgun produced for hunting in the United States, even surpassing S&W's 500 Cal Mag. Velocity is over 2,000 FPS :)

I shot it yesterday and it was interesting to say the least but it really didn't 'kick' any more than any of my 44 Mag's do. It has an elaborate barrel compensator on the barrels top and sides.

Wish me luck!

IMG_2014.JPG

IMG_2014 (2).JPG

Edited by ComputerDoctor

Second coat of dye applied and the 'antique' look is coming through. There will be more tooling and a few pouches added.

IMG_2020.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

On 2/4/2018 at 8:25 PM, ComputerDoctor said:

trying different glues

It looks like you're doing a good job on it all. As far as an adhesive I use DAP Weldwood (It's a red can).  I first read about it here on the forums and yeah it works great and it's about all I use now.

Here are a few more pictures of my "Briefcase project," completed now.

A few pictures are attached of a prototype Cartridge or Bandoleer; which is a broad belt worn over the shoulder by soldiers, Hunters and target shooters having a number of small loops or pockets, for holding a cartridge or cartridges.

I have, at least to me, a big project starting up to produce a 'heavy duty' weight supporting 'tool belt' type dual shoulder harness that will carry the weight of the Smith and Wesson, 460 MAG pistol, shown above, along with the weight of loaded and extra bullets, etc, that would be too heavy for any holster that I have ever seen! The pistol is HUGE and HEAVY---sort of like me:)

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

HERE'S A FEW OTHER LITTLE RECENT PROJECTS:

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2045.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

Some Wallets:

Still experimenting with finishes, tooling and antiquing.

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2058.JPG

IMG_2057.JPG

IMG_2059.JPG

IMG_2053.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_2056.JPG

Another new Holster I made to comfort my new Sig Sauer P320, 9mm Military pistol:

IMG_2125.JPG

Another small project:

Ammunition belt.

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

Below is my completed project: A harness, modified holster, retaining straps and ammunition belt. The pistol is for hunting wild Boar, Deer and Elk. It is the most powerful readily available firearm, in 460 S&W Magnum and the pistol is the long, almost 9 inch trice compensated, stainless steel beauty! Problem is, the weapon alone weighs 72 + ounces, not counting the weighty ammo and holster and my customer is small in stature so the typical 'right hip' holster location is out of the question.

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

Looks good, but I am curious.  I thought he was looking for a no sound retaining strap:  what kind of snap did you use there that doesn't make noise?  I would have thought a Sam Brown stud would have been more the ticket...

What kind of leather did you use on the holster itself?

YinTx

Yin, the Holster is one he bought a few years ago and is very expensive and beautiful so I won't modify anything until I see him in person and I 'FIT' the outfit to him and his body. I agree that a couple of studs will replace the noisy grommet strap. The 'CLAM' design is very stiff and holds the pistol very tightly so much so that it probably doesn't need anything to hold it in place. I can probably loosen the leathers grip by liberal amounts of Mink oil but not without the customers permission. The pistol is so long and heavy, a traditional holster probably wouldn't work well but I may end up designing something better in the future.