I can't believe it! Once more, I've gone and wasted a precious hunk of leather on a stupid, stupid...did I mention stupid?, mistake. There is something about knife sheaths, that makes me cut at least one piece of leather with the wrong side out. Now, this time, the sheath DID have the grain side on the opposite side on the back piece, from what I usually do. Still, I KNEW THAT! Still screwed it up. I really need to only make symmetrical sheaths. 

All the other sheaths I've made have had the belt loop fold away from the front, and rivet on the back of the "back" piece. (I screwed those up, too). This one, has the back piece fold towards the front piece, and fit in between the back piece and the front piece. Yeah, that's it! It's not my fault! The Ka-Bar people are just bas-akwards! 

Oh, thank goodness. I feel so much better.

Never mind.

Jeff 

Jeff,

Been there done that.....it happens.    I try to check twice cut once mentality...course with sheaths...for me its more like check 10 times lol

Ross

57 minutes ago, Rossr said:

Jeff,

Been there done that.....it happens.    I try to check twice cut once mentality...course with sheaths...for me its more like check 10 times lol

Ross

I will plead guilty to also doing the same thing - I try to remember to triple check everything now, but the older I get the more distracted I seem to be...

Gary

I just line it with some other thinner leather, or a small scrap piece of exotic as a bonus no extra change to my client for this well deserving knife.

The other option I save the piece for the next slightly smaller sheath for a LH, or RH client. Hopefully the piece will be for a LH person. That will give me the reason as a bladesmith to forge me another knife! LOL...

Edited by TacticallySharp

I put the pocket on backwards on a note book cover yesterday. So now it's for lefties.lol Good thing my wife is one.

can you just assemble it rough out? call it unique? :)

always make it look intentional, lol

Edited by Jake907

When I'm doing a pattern I label each piece front RH or back RH.  Then usually label the other side Front LH or back LH.  Figuring I'll see one or the other before I screw it up.  

Even that does not work all the time.  

But what gets me is cutting the right piece from the wrong side.  I hand draw my patterns so they are uniform looking to the eye but subtle variations.  If I mock something up and like it, then accidentally cut the front piece with the wrong side up it just does not fit right.  Which is why I started labeling them front and back.  I've had to do some creative trimming and sanding to save a couple sheaths.  

Nah...Its easy cos I know it'll be the wrong way up to what I first think so I just flip it over. Just a thought, what if it had a bit of thin suede glued onto the pattern on the side that has to be ........ No ..I was right the first time. :P

I've done this so many times, I've taken to writing 'Grain' and 'Suede' on my patterns. If the name doesn't match, it's upside-down.

Of course, this doesn't help with printing 'Grain' or 'Suede' on the wrong side to begin with... :)

Larry

Ah, I see...you guys have fallen for the oldest misconception in the books. That being that you can make something "idiot proof". Ha! You can only make it "idiot resistant", 'cause as I am living proof, they'll just make a better idiot.

19 hours ago, Jake907 said:

can you just assemble it rough out? call it unique? :)

always make it look intentional, lol

This is what I was picturing. roll with it!

30 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Ah, I see...you guys have fallen for the oldest misconception in the books. That being that you can make something "idiot proof". Ha! You can only make it "idiot resistant", 'cause as I am living proof, they'll just make a better idiot.

Lol! An idiot is the kid I work with that chewed xanex and drank all night, then came to work and fell over backwards. The better idiot noticed. The perfect idiot realized that he was surrounded by idiots. The supreme idiot to end all idiocy laughed at how ludicrous it all is.

I have a box for "bad cuts" and they go in there when I make a "wrong" cut.

Some day, . . . I'll use them, . . . or when I'm worm food, . . . my son will wonder why I cut out all those pieces ahead of time and didn't use them.

May God bless,

Dwight

4 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Hey, I have a sticker on my toolbox at work like that, it says, "make it idiot proof, and someone will just build a better idiot" LOL

2 hours ago, Jake907 said:

Hey, I have a sticker on my toolbox at work like that, it says, "make it idiot proof, and someone will just build a better idiot" LOL

It may be true but I don't want a hat with this on the back of it:wub:

I got my Cowboy 4500 set up yesterday, I'm thinking this piece will be perfect practice for the "correct" version of the sheath that is moments away from being "stitch ready".

5 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I got my Cowboy 4500 set up yesterday, I'm thinking this piece will be perfect practice for the "correct" version of the sheath that is moments away from being "stitch ready".

Congratulations!  Look forward to hearing your feedback on your new machine!

Gary

I did that on a sheath one time. Now I'm waiting for another knife that size to make a left-handed sheath. :) I agree with Jake... make it look intentional. You never know. You just might start a new fad with rough-out knife sheaths! :lol:

-Ryan

The sheaths I make in general have the rough out on the loop, burnished and folded over to rivet on the back. This one is a replacement for the KaBar sheath for the MK2 battle knife, so I tried to keep it kinda original. I kept the rivet, lost the staples and did full length welts. I did a bit of a write up in the "leather sewing machines" part of the forum. And, there's pictures!

That would be how I have a few L/H holsters on the shelf.

Of course, it never happens for a 1911. Usually it's some obscure, one-off thing.

I spent days hand tooling a belt for my wife as a birthday present. When it came time to put her initials on it, I double checked, I triple checked, and I put them on upside down anyway. :wub:

10 minutes ago, steelhawk said:

I spent days hand tooling a belt for my wife as a birthday present. When it came time to put her initials on it, I double checked, I triple checked, and I put them on upside down anyway. :wub:

I saw a Don Gonzales video this morning and he mentions this. Of course he was talking about a man's belt. He said if you always keep the buckle to your left on the table, you will never tool it upside down. I guess you would reverse that for a lady's belt.

On 2/6/2018 at 11:02 AM, larry1096 said:

I've done this so many times, I've taken to writing 'Grain' and 'Suede' on my patterns. If the name doesn't match, it's upside-down.

Of course, this doesn't help with printing 'Grain' or 'Suede' on the wrong side to begin with... :)

Larry

I tried that and still messed up, so now I put a big R (for right side holsters) on the front and write Smooth or Rough on the pattern. Also, after making more than one right hand when it should be a left hand, I modified my software so it prints a big L on the work order, and when I look at it using the software, a big red L shows up on  the screen.  This has helped.

orderScreen.png.014044ca5e00da8e26577177248ab576.png

Here's my main screen. I wrote this software.

mainScreen.png.32383e1b4a4e76c92fb2789274f771f4.png

If I check the "sound" box above the exit button, a 15 round burst of gunfire blasts off on exit. Just for fun.

Edited by steelhawk

Nice job on the software! Looks like LC9 has been a good gun for you. Question, is the holster the same for the LC9s?

Jeff

1 minute ago, alpha2 said:

Nice job on the software! Looks like LC9 has been a good gun for you. Question, is the holster the same for the LC9s?

Jeff

In short yes. All LC9 are the same size. The difference are safety/no safety and striker fired and hammer. Ifin I remember correctly.