seabee

Right hand or Left hand

I went to deliver a holster for a 1911 today.  When Bob was writing the check, I noticed he was left handed. Started another holster today.  I told him to keep the holster for his son.  He's right handed.  He wanted  to pay for both but, I don't work that way.  Now, I've known Bob for 40 years, and also served together in the Navy. We've been known to tip a few cold one together.  His wife couldn't stop laughing about the holsters.  So, we had a few cold ones.

Seabee     

With friends and family I've done similar things. My mistake is mine. If a regular client does not check off right, or left. I normally do not start till they do. An email with the answer is enought to start. I cc my starting email response to myself including the email sent to me as part of the response. That way no problems for either of us...

9 hours ago, seabee said:

I went to deliver a holster for a 1911 today.  When Bob was writing the check, I noticed he was left handed. Started another holster today.  I told him to keep the holster for his son.  He's right handed.  He wanted  to pay for both but, I don't work that way.  Now, I've known Bob for 40 years, and also served together in the Navy. We've been known to tip a few cold one together.  His wife couldn't stop laughing about the holsters.  So, we had a few cold ones.

Seabee     

You are a credit to the leather industry, . . . thank you.

I do basically the same, . . . keeps my customers happy, . . . makes for a good reputation, which cannot be bought, . . . only earned.

May God bless,

Dwight (not a seabee, . . . shipboard EM2)

I have a buddy that is left handed, but shoots with either hand.  I have to double and triple check now.  First holster he ordered was right handed.  Then next 2 were left handed when he realized I didn't care which way I made them.  I usually catch that mistake after cutting.  I've found that most lefties are adamant about you knowing, but I could see a close friend or family thinking you knew.  Good on you for making it right.  

My wife is left handed. After not being able to hit a barn from the inside of it I told her to try right handed. She found out she is left eye right handed shooter. In a call back to another thread cut a piece backwards so now I have a LH G43 holster and mag carrier on my Etsy. Lol

5 hours ago, Dwight said:

You are a credit to the leather industry, . . . thank you.

I do basically the same, . . . keeps my customers happy, . . . makes for a good reputation, which cannot be bought, . . . only earned.

May God bless,

Dwight (not a seabee, . . . shipboard EM2)

I've done the same with a couple orders off my Etsy. They didn't put the initials on the order so I remade and shipped at my expense. Oddly neither one even said thank you. So now if ANY part is missing from order form I get back to them. Like if no initials or name stamp indicated I make them put no initials or name stamp on the form.

17 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

I've done the same with a couple orders off my Etsy. They didn't put the initials on the order so I remade and shipped at my expense. Oddly neither one even said thank you. So now if ANY part is missing from order form I get back to them. Like if no initials or name stamp indicated I make them put no initials or name stamp on the form.

In my experience, etsy customers are more likely to not read the description, follow order instructions and be more demanding over my website (etsy amounts to about 10% of my business). I spend a fair amount of time emailing back and forth to address the missing information. Then again etsy really isnt geared to provide the number of options I tend to offer per item. I too agree with the mantra that things get fixed at no charge. I consider spending money on customer service an investment on your reputation. 

I'm pretty compulsive about making sure the client knows which hand, what position the holster sits. Just for fun, I also ask when they order slings, whether it is for the right or left shoulder. But, I have one or two guys that wear more than one gun, and have a favored side for that particular pistol.

Did the opposite thing once. Had a buddy who was left handed that wanted a holster for himself, so, naturally I made it left handed. Turned out he wanted a right handed one to off set a left handed I had made him years before. He  loved it, but I let him have it because it wasn't what he originally wanted. Made him a right hand matching. He paid for this one and wound up wearing them together.