Ok, guys. This should make you smile... :) 

Enjoy!

8432996622447811239.jpg.cb9d18b733d0d25ecf20ced2b5726f50.jpg

4907293498542286777.jpg.d53c7c3ae84f5adae8904fe92e843675.jpg

All of the tooling was my own design. The leather is 3-4 oz. veg belly.

Comments or critique is always welcome!

-Ryan

Very creative, it looks great!

Way to go, Roland! 

I Love it! I'm probably gonna steal it. ;)

Really cool tie.  Is it a clip-on or do you have to tie it like a regular tie?

Looks great! :thumbsup: Hmmm, I wonder...use a thinner leather and cover it with rattlesnake skin...maybe an oval cutout in the middle for the rattle? :rolleyes2: 

Thanks guys!

@Rohn It's not a clip-on. You have to tie it.

@JMcC LOL! not everything I make has rattlers in it you know. :)

I have a question for anyone who can help. I oiled this tie a lot to get it flexible enough to tie but think I over-oiled it and it doesn't look like it will dry any time soon. Any suggestions for fixing this so my shirts don't get oil around the collar?

Thanks!

-Ryan

6 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

I have a question for anyone who can help. I oiled this tie a lot to get it flexible enough to tie but think I over-oiled it and it doesn't look like it will dry any time soon. Any suggestions for fixing this so my shirts don't get oil around the collar?

There are a few threads here about trying to remove excess oil.  Suggestions have been to bury it in cornstarch, floor dry, kitty litter, etc. to absorb the oil.  Need to stir it around a few times a day, may take several days.  I haven't seen the results from anyone that posted the question.

Tom

I never thought about a tie before. Your tooling looks really good and so does the stitching. I think @Northmount covered all the stuff I've seen lately about oil removal. Really cool idea and great craftsmanship @Rolandranch!

That looks awesome well done once again. 

Set it in front of a fan the airflow should help to dry it out, another option is to build a hot box (bulb inside of a box, I would put a divider in it to keep direct light off it). I use the fan method all the time for speeding up dye and finish. 

I am making one this moment! Thanks

I really like your idea, but I would definitely make it less wide, so it looks like you wear the tie and not the other way around :) but that’s just one woman opinion ;)

19 hours ago, Northmount said:

There are a few threads here about trying to remove excess oil.  Suggestions have been to bury it in cornstarch, floor dry, kitty litter, etc. to absorb the oil.  Need to stir it around a few times a day, may take several days.  I haven't seen the results from anyone that posted the question.

Tom

I tried all those on an item. It took forever for any oil to leech out. Best result was with sandwiching the item between layers of clean paper and putting a heavy weight on the stack, to press the oil out. Running thru a mangle to press it would may be better

5 minutes ago, fredk said:

I tried all those on an item. It took forever for any oil to leech out. Best result was with sandwiching the item between layers of clean paper and putting a heavy weight on the stack, to press the oil out. Running thru a mangle to press it would may be better

I currently have it wrapped  in a towel and a box on top so we will see how that goes.

hmmm first off neat idea.   Wondering if for a future attempt if there is one....would you use fabric on the upper part to make it easier to tie and have the tooled leather part as the main body of the tie that shows down the front where you tool.....perhaps also instead of oil using some  other finish would work better?  like pecards or snow proof...or perhaps even resolene....just spit balling here

Ross

Or, could maybe use some chrome tan for the neck section, then tool veg tan for the front?  Would look pretty cool.  Nifty idea, good luck with getting the oil out.  I experimented with a piece of leather, added more than enough oil about 3 years ago... still has more than enough oil.  I don't think it will ever be back to normal - will always be too oily.

YinTx

@Rossr I'm thinking of using resolene after I get as much oil out as possible.

Does anyone think resolene will help keep the oil from bleeding into clothing? 

Thanks.

-Ryan

20 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Or, could maybe use some chrome tan for the neck section, then tool veg tan for the front?  Would look pretty cool.  Nifty idea, good luck with getting the oil out.  I experimented with a piece of leather, added more than enough oil about 3 years ago... still has more than enough oil.  I don't think it will ever be back to normal - will always be too oily.

YinTx

Thanks. I hope it won't always be too oily. I dipped it in water and it seems a lot of oil came out but not enough. I wonder if I should dip it in water again or if that would be bad for the leather. Any ideas? 

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

YinTx

Lol I think I remember you posting about that?

2 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

I currently have it wrapped  in a towel and a box on top so we will see how that goes.

Check on it frequently and change to a fresh clean absorbent material. I used kitchen paper towel and refreshed it about every few hours, still took a few days tho - I did have a bit too much nfo in it

Your water dipping seems to be working; let it soak for a bit longer then pressure it [idea/suggestion]

1 hour ago, Rolandranch said:

@Rossr I'm thinking of using resolene after I get as much oil out as possible.

Does anyone think resolene will help keep the oil from bleeding into clothing? 

Thanks.

-Ryan

In my experience nfo will still get past resolene

4 minutes ago, fredk said:

Check on it frequently and change to a fresh clean absorbent material. I used kitchen paper towel and refreshed it about every few hours, still took a few days tho - I did have a bit too much nfo in it

Your water dipping seems to be working; let it soak for a bit longer then pressure it [idea/suggestion]

In my experience nfo will still get past resolene

Thanks. I will do that and let you know what happens. The nfo keeps it flexible enough to tie but at the same time it bleeds into clothing. Hmmm...

Idea! What if you heat it with a hair dryer and then add some beeswax or paraffin and sorta make some beeswax (or paraffin) and neatsfoot oil blend the hard way. I don't know how well it'll blend inside the leather but maybe getting some wax in the leather could push some of the oil out?

hey man, that is one awesome tie, almost makes me want to wear one.....no, not really, lol, but its still a really cool tie, and I bet the girls notice it too ;)

1 hour ago, Jake907 said:

hey man, that is one awesome tie, almost makes me want to wear one.....no, not really, lol, but its still a really cool tie, and I bet the girls notice it too ;)

haha! lol! yeah, I did it for kicks and grins. Aw, shucks... I haven't worn it in front of any girls yet... but you never know.... it just might make me a chick-magnet and a big catch. :rofl:

14 hours ago, Carson said:

I am making one this moment! Thanks

If you do I'd love to see pics!

Looks great!

I can't even see where you placed those magnets? Are they in the flowers? :rofl: