thekid77

anyone ever tried applying resolene with a high density foam roller?

just curious to see if anyone had done this....i had the idea to do this since sometimes the resolene pulls up and causes streaks in the dye....

I was thinking it might work?

I only airbrush it -have used paintbrush and foam brushes to apply, but get much better results with spraying it.  I suspect a roller might create a lot of bubbles?

Gary

Airbrush is the best method. Foam rollers equals bubbles.

8 hours ago, Bodean said:

Airbrush is the best method. Foam rollers equals bubbles.

even with a high density foam? 

the reason I ask is because I have wiped the resolene on with the HD foam and not gotten bubbles, just streaks 

I've had that streaking problem myself, you have to make sure you dry your dye at least 24 hrs. I've switched to Fiebings Tan Kote, seems to be much better, at least I get less streaking.

I tried a foam roller (it was the same material as the cheap foam brushes I use for dye-lots of bubbles. Because you drag the brush along, but the roller 'picks up' on the finish continually, it seems to form bubbles more easily. Actually created a bit of froth when done quickly.

That said, I don't know if this was a 'high-density' foam, it was just a cheap disposable roller from a craft store.

Larry

On 2/9/2018 at 5:53 PM, larry1096 said:

I tried a foam roller (it was the same material as the cheap foam brushes I use for dye-lots of bubbles. Because you drag the brush along, but the roller 'picks up' on the finish continually, it seems to form bubbles more easily. Actually created a bit of froth when done quickly.

That said, I don't know if this was a 'high-density' foam, it was just a cheap disposable roller from a craft store.

Larry

Thanks for your advice Larry, I am going to stay away from the roller idea....seems like frustration and disaster waiting to happen lol...since the last comment, I've had luck swirly on a thin coat of resolene cut 40:60 resolene to water, applying it with one of the high density sponges from Tandy in smal circular motions.

Another vote for airbrush. No streaks, no bubbles, apply several thin coats that dry quickly.

Dilute with water by 50% then spray it.  Everything else I have tried has left me frustrated.