Sign in to follow this  
bermudahwin

Singer 45K58 serial number

Hi everyone,

I have a Singer 45K58 with the serial number F5760485 (at least that is what it looks like).

From http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-f-series-serial-numbers.html  the number matches a 45K from early 1914, which is a wee bit confusing as I would have expected its listing to be 45K58 rather than a generic 45K?

Also the machine looks more modern than the ones of that era that I have seen, and is finished in hammered blue/green, rather than black.

Any help, enlightenment or suggestions welcomed

Thank you, Harry

Singer 45K58 serial number web.jpg

Singer 45K58 Model Number web.jpg

Your machine most likely has been refurbished, restored or rebuild once (or twice?). The Date / Model list usually shows the base model but not the subclasses so its well possible that your 45K58 is one of the 3000 45K´s. built back then. Only very few subclasses are listed as you probably have noticed.

I´m sure it does. My old cast iron horde is working well too. My oldest Singer is from 1905

Edited by Constabulary

On 2/9/2018 at 5:50 AM, Constabulary said:

I´m sure it does. My old cast iron horde is working well too. My oldest Singer is from 1905

Ok, so its been nearly 10 months, but I am due to get my machine back with a servo motor and new table on Thursday. 7 months were me being away on a contract, so its not too bad really.

Can't wait now. Also getting my 196K205 back at the same time.

Once I have them going I will post details.

Harry

Hi Harry, just saw your post. Folker is right about the colour, in 1914 it was black then later there were two tone machines, probably about the 1939-40.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.f4311531119d6158dfe191055e6b9c0f.jpg

Also when restoring the badge and plate on a machine i would first bend the pins straight again from the inside and reuse them afterwards, they have a distinctive pattern on them which is similar to a flower. the ones on your machine have been replaced with smooth headed ones.

badge-00.jpg.524aa855c8153946273074b49f84a028.jpg

I think after the two tone it was the crinkle finish then the all grey hammerite then the light blue?? not 100% sure.

Edited by jimi

Thank you Jimi

It was running well by hand, but cannot wait to go electric...

I am 72 and consider myself quite young, so that old 45K is really just a teenager, but for sure out lasted many 1980 era machines and probably running as smooth as when it was made

How come that sewing machines at 100 still work perfectly , Old steam engines nearly as good yet car and bike engines only last in general a few years and need maintance quite often at great expense

6 minutes ago, chrisash said:

I am 72 and consider myself quite young, so that old 45K is really just a teenager, but for sure out lasted many 1980 era machines and probably running as smooth as when it was made

I love old Singers in particular, and could not agree more.

However my wife has a Domestic (but metal clad) Pfaff 1222 from 1975 ish, and she will not swap it for a modern sewing machine. She was devastated when the removal men broke the case but thanks to ebay I sorted that out. We took it for a service recently and she used my 1959 185K (I use it for linings etc) and was well impressed by its smoothness.

Trouble is old machines are addictive, I now have 5, and they all work so hard to convince myself that the space is better used.

I have just had mine serviced by the guys that did my college machines in 1980s; some of the same people there. Dangerous place to visit though, lots of machines and skivers for sale.

Best

Harry

Edited by hwinbermuda

Here is the machine on its new table not fully set up yet, see the Kop holders still taped under the frame. Really pleased so far.

45K58.thumb.JPG.38d44c471715b7d899d5f2b74e39dca8.JPG5bfff3c932101_45K58pic2.thumb.JPG.afd1ce23e2725d5ea24442476234c8a0.JPG

@hwinbermuda Harry, that's a great looking machine. Ready for another 104 years' use now! Do you know what servo you have on it? I'm shopping for one for my Adler 5, which is essentially a 45K21.

45Ks are great machines. Bombproof, capable, and easy to adjust. Not fashionable these days, which means that those of us who appreciate them can pick them up for relatively little money.

@chrisash There's plenty of 1980s machines still going strong, they just don't look pretty so people don't tend to show them off so much as their more experienced machines. Look at Jukis, Adlers and Seikos from that era and the quality was no less than that of the old Singers, and in some ways were better. In fact by the 80s Singer had closed its factories and was selling rebadged Seikos. However by that point the market for heavy leather goods (industrial parts, luggage, horse harness etc.) had dropped and where it still existed a higher finish was demanded so features like compound-feed and reverse feed were required by the factories.

11 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Do you know what servo you have on it? I'm shopping for one for my Adler 5, which is essentially a 45K21.

I am not in the workshop at the moment, but will check it out, and get back to you, cannot recall off the top of my head.

The 45K58 in particular is sought by saddlers to repair horse blankets. I have been offered way more than I expected to sell it prior to refurb, but I wanted to refurb it myself and then 'modernise it', we'll see if it worked, or if I end up with a table and motor for sale :yeah:

24 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

I am not in the workshop at the moment, but will check it out, and get back to you, cannot recall off the top of my head.

The 45K58 in particular is sought by saddlers to repair horse blankets. I have been offered way more than I expected to sell it prior to refurb, but I wanted to refurb it myself and then 'modernise it', we'll see if it worked, or if I end up with a table and motor for sale :yeah:

Thanks Harry, I appreciate it.

I actually have a 45K58 on a proper industrial treadle base that I keep meaning to sell. It's not getting enough use to justify the houseroom it takes up and I'm sure somebody will make better use of it than me.

Hi Matt, Could you send a few pictures of the 45k for us pig iron junkies? :spoton: