JKing

Mold in water based glue

Opened my water based glue (Saregum) and found mold on the walls of the container. The glue inside the bottle doesn't have visible mold. I am very apprehensive to use the glue and will probably throw it away.

I've occasionally dipped (new, dry) q-tips directly into the jar of glue in application, and almost certainly, tiny pieces from the leather have gotten back into the jar. Wondering if anyone knows why the glue could have molded? Wouldn't have expected it to, but I'm not very familiar with water based glue yet. Also, would you agree that it's best to throw it out? 

Will pour from my main container into a per-use container next time so as to not contaminate the main jar of glue. 

glue.jpg

Yeah, I wouldn't eat that!

Seriously, I just started using water based glue, so haven't had time to observe anything like that. I'm sure someone will be by shortly with some info.

I went and looked at my glue pot with water based cement in it after seeing this and realized I have a similar thing going on. Must be from some kind of contaminants, definitely going to switch to a squeeze bottle now though

Definitely throw it away

As you, and I, are in three different places its not a water-borne mould. It might just be an air-borne non-toxic mould. The glue pot has given it a nice home to grow in. You can limit this by adding a small amount of bleach and keeping the glue in a dark container, or in a dark place which is also cold, but not freezing. Warm & bright encourages the mould to grow