ryanww

My first attempt at a mini portfolio

I'd like to make a full size one, but thought I'd start small in case I screwed something up.

Cover is some sort of oil tanned leather completely lined with pig skin.  I sandwiched pieces of plastic quilting templates between the lining and the cover to add stiffness.  The plastic pieces are set in 1/4 inch from the edges, just inside the stitch line.  The pockets are made from the same leather as the outer cover.  I did not finish the edges at all and the pig skin lining material is visible between the two layers.  I may try to dye the edges, but not sure yet, advice is welcome.  I machine stitched with Pfaff 1245 using 138 polyester thread.  There is one area of mis stitching and I know what caused it.  I won't give it away though, you'll have to look for it.

Comments, critiques welcome.

Ryan

cover1.jpg

open1.jpg

edge.jpg

open2.jpg

openfront.jpg

Edited by ryanww

Nice job!  It looks like the edges won't burnish too well. Have you tried it?  

If it doesn't burnish well I would recommend Fenice edge paint in dark brown.  TheHideShop.com has 100 gram repacks of Fenice at a decent price which allows you to try out a few colors before buying the large pack. 

(the mis-stitch doesn't look too bad. You might try to cut and restitch.  Other than that it looks real clean). 

It does not burnish at all.  I don't mind the rough looking edges, but the visible lining bothers me a bit.  I'll look into the dyes you mentioned.  Thanks