pepeunidos

Guitar Amplifier Cover

Hello friends!

So I have a question for the group - I’m interested in making a cover for my guitar amp out of leather (of course LOL) and I’m curious to know what leather weight would you recommend? If I tool it, I will use veg-tan, but what other leather would you recommend?

My design includes a slot on top for the handle, and an open bottom with a belt across it to hold it in place. Since this is for my extension speaker cabinet, I also want to make it sturdy enough for me to check it into baggage check-in when I have to fly it (same leather weight as a suitcase I suppose).

for you guitar heads the cab dimensions are the same as a 5E3 fender deluxe.

thanks y’all - looking forward to your suggestions!

That will be a cool project. I will be interested to see how it turns out. If you are gonna tool it, I would use a minimum of 5-6 ounce to keep the weight down as much as possible. of course I never made one so that is just my thought. You have me interested in making one now for my amps, lol.

Edited by Bodean

Thanks Bodean! I was thinking about 4-5 or 6-7 for the hide weight.

The other decision I need to make is how I’m going to construct this thing, whether to use a single folded panel for front, top, and back with 2 stitched-on side panels like a gusset, or 5 panels stitched together with a box joint.

Finally, any suggestions on the leather? If I don’t tool, what finished leather would y’all recommend?

thanks for your input!

15 hours ago, pepeunidos said:

Thanks Bodean! I was thinking about 4-5 or 6-7 for the hide weight.

The other decision I need to make is how I’m going to construct this thing, whether to use a single folded panel for front, top, and back with 2 stitched-on side panels like a gusset, or 5 panels stitched together with a box joint.

Finally, any suggestions on the leather? If I don’t tool, what finished leather would y’all recommend?

thanks for your input!

If it were me I would go with a 3 piece plan. As far as leather if you are not gonna tool, I would probably go for a weathered look. There are lots of choices for prefinished hides. You could probably go with 3-4 ounce if you are not tooling.

I ordered one from Frogjelly leather in Arlington that would probably fit that bill. http://www.frogjellyleather.com/

I ordered the Bastrop oil tanned side a few months back.