akguy59

Need help on shoulder holster

Good morning folks. I've been a member here for a month or so and have been soaking up all the great information and tips. I do have to say that this forum is populated by some of the most helpful and friendly people of any of the chatrooms that I have looked at.

Anyway, on to my question, I have finished the body of a chest type holster and I am in the dark about the straps. I need to know what is the recommended weight of leather for the straps and also a source for them. I found what I think I need at buckleguy.com but I need to know I am ordering the right leather. They are presently out of the 4.5/5 weight which seemed about right to me but if that is the right weight then I may need to go elsewhere.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.

Edited by akguy59

4-5 should be good.  I went heavy with 7-8 and it was a bit much.  I don't keep that weight in sides so I order them as straps when I need them.  I'm 6'1" tall and a men's large, sometimes XL, in t shirt.  I use a butterfly looking patch on the back of the rig.  Top straps are 23" and bottom straps are 22".  

4/5oz leather should be fine for the straps, but you don't have to order them pre-cut. if you don't have a draw gauge you can just use a long straight edge and a razor knife to cut them off of a hide, its usually cheaper in the long run if you can find a side, or a double shoulder to buy. 

I like 4/5 for my shoulder straps.  

If you are going to do many belts, . . . straps, . . . etc.  might want to think about a leather splitter.  Sides, shoulders, all of em run differently, . . . sometimes one end of the hide or side will be thicker than the other end.

I got sick of messing with it, . . . got a splitter, . . . now I don't have to try to keep so many different weights of leather.  Don't have a 54 inch piece of 4/5 but do have a piece in 8/9, . . . ???  The splitter will handle that right quickly.  AND, . . . if you do much in knife sheaths, . . . the cast off can be used as a welt.

Milled vegetable tan makes really soft and "easy on the body" shoulder straps, . . . make em a bit wider to spread the weight on the shoulders.  All of mine are kinda "long pear" shaped, . . . and are comfortable.

Sold two in the last couple months, . . . both customers super happy so far.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the advice folks. I found some pre-cut straps at tandy and ordered them this afternoon. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and thanks again.