AJ2018

Rifle buttstock pattern and type of leather

just to keep the fox updated , here are some more photos after adding some baseball stitch. working on the cartridge loop now , if you got a good idea based on my project, please share we might benefit from your ideas. so far my plan is to add to two leather conchos at the ends of each side of the cartridge holder and probably stitch each eye of the cartridges separately, because as you notice i have no room from making a slotted cartridge loop, my leather is 5-6 oz and I am planing to split it to 2mm and try.

cheers :yeah:

AJ

IMG_20.jpg

IMG_21.jpg

IMG_22.jpg

IMG_23.jpg

That’s looking really nice!

Gary

5 hours ago, garypl said:

That’s looking really nice!

Gary

Thanks Gary, I still have to stitch the cap on the knob by the baseball stitch and then stitch a cap on the rubber pad at the back of the leather piece, then finally put some eyelet and lacing. 

Tooling wise I could of done way better but I live in an apartment building and noise is not allowed that's why I only knife it only. 

Will post more pics I. The next stage. 

Cheers :yeah:

AJ2018 

1 hour ago, AJ2018 said:

Thanks Gary, I still have to stitch the cap on the knob by the baseball stitch and then stitch a cap on the rubber pad at the back of the leather piece, then finally put some eyelet and lacing. 

Tooling wise I could of done way better but I live in an apartment building and noise is not allowed that's why I only knife it only. 

Will post more pics I. The next stage. 

Cheers :yeah:

AJ2018 

Look forward to seeing your progress.  How many hours do you think you have in it already?

6 hours ago, garypl said:

Look forward to seeing your progress.  How many hours do you think you have in it already?

Gary I did put a lot of hours already :) , but this is my first leather project and once i get everything done, all its left is to make a template and copy.

here is an update from today , stitching the cap on the knob but i still have to dye it very lightly so the dye wont get on the stock.

hope you like the cap stitch.

cheers,

AJ2018

IMG_24.jpg

IMG_25.jpg

IMG_26.jpg

Nice job overall. I like your stitching. I think, maybe the cartridge loops look better if the were dyed the same light brown colour as the base leather.

6 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Nice job overall. I like your stitching. I think, maybe the cartridge loops look better if the were dyed the same light brown colour as the base leather.

Thank you rockoboy for your input and proposal, indeed I am planing to dye it very soon, I was planing to add two star conchos at the two ends of the cartridge loop but I found that it will overlap the decoration fram so I have left it plan . 

About the stitch, I stitched it by hand one stitch at the time so yes it did take me a while to do. Here is another pic of the  other side of the project. 

Cheers,

SAM76F248ED92-F4C8-4B9B-96B1-3ED3D9695ABE.thumb.jpeg.af99119dbb1d52ec3a9464ef798cf36b.jpeg

Wow, love this idea when I get somewhat skilled at this I would love to make one of these for my sons rifle, very impressive guy!

8 hours ago, Brownie1 said:

Wow, love this idea when I get somewhat skilled at this I would love to make one of these for my sons rifle, very impressive guy!

Thank you Brownie it’s my pleasure to do your son’s rifle, which rifle you wanna work on ? 

I still have more creative ways using leather laces in the future. I have another thread showing different project for savage Mark II F .22 LR take some time to view it and let me know what you think. 

The only thing that I am still search for is how to make a round leather lace, can’t seems to find a reasonable priced tool to buy so I can make them, if you have any idea share it. 

Thanks for your input 

cheers,

SAM76

On 2018-09-23 at 5:03 PM, Rockoboy said:

Thank you Rockoboy, indeed I am looking to dye the cartridge loop same colour. 

I am still searching for affordable tool to make full round leather lace but can’t seems to find one. Have any ideas ? 

Cheers,

SAM76

On ‎9‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 6:58 PM, SAM76 said:

affordable tool to make full round leather lace

I have seen something on y-toob about make round lace. I think the guy drilled a hole in a piece of steel, cut some 3 or 4mm leather strips for 3 or 4mm round lace, wet the strips and pulled it through the hole to round the lace. If I remember correctly, I don't think there was any blade involved, but I could be wrong.  

9 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

I have seen something on y-toob about make round lace. I think the guy drilled a hole in a piece of steel, cut some 3 or 4mm leather strips for 3 or 4mm round lace, wet the strips and pulled it through the hole to round the lace. If I remember correctly, I don't think there was any blade involved, but I could be wrong.  

you could use a flaring tool...other than not having a bench mount it's fairly similar to the round lace makers I've seen, i used it as Rockoboy stated, wet the leather and find the closest size then run it through, may even use some saddle soap on there to hep things along ;-)

I do believe @koreric75 might have hit the nail on the head. The hole should be wider at the entry side and narrower (down to finished size) on the exit side. The saddle soap is a great idea, otherwise the strain on the leather might cause breakages.

Love this!  Here's my latest on a Henry...

BHslingandholsterplus leather acc..jpg

BHslingandholsterplus leather acc2..jpg

BHslingandholsterplus leather acc3..jpg

On 11/4/2019 at 2:03 AM, robertjohnson2 said:

Absolutely beautiful work

Thanks rob, sure I can make it very easy to me. Here is a compiled image of my work when it comes to design, I am a guru. 

41279242-E113-4A23-A94B-834FB0EA6225.jpeg

On 11/4/2019 at 2:03 AM, robertjohnson2 said:

Absolutely beautiful work

Thanks rob I have two accounts one is SAM76 and the other is AJ2018 just for clarification. 

cheer.

11F1207C-7DE4-45C9-8139-AB19F1EAC211.jpeg