Anyone have experience with THOR sewing machines out of Texas???

glenn

I have seen them advertised on Dallas Craigslist, but that is the extent of my knowledge. They may be as good as any of the clones, but I don't know 

Looking at their website it looks like the Thor GA 441 is basically the same clone of the Juki 441 you can get from several different places. Looking at different things on the machine though, it does not appear to have been set up to sew leather as good as it could be. Price looks to be on target. If you can check how they are on customer service it might be worth it as it looks like your close and it would save you on shipping.

Also, if you are looking in the Dallas area solar leather machines is a cowboy distributor. Alexander has been on this site several times helping new machiners. 

Again,

Anyone have any experience with THOR sewing machines?
shoepatcher

You posted the same question multiple times on separate threads. People are answering this on another thread you started, no need to keep posting the same question over and over.

That Thor machine is probably the same basic machine as a Cowboy or Cobra, BUT... It does not have the speed reducer and extra large fly wheel of the Cobras and Cowboys to give it that extra power to sew through thick leather slowly and control the needle position with the foot pedal. It also does not come with the nice adjustable height stand with casters. Those two features alone make the Cowboy and Cobras a much better deal in my opinion. Not saying there is anything wrong with the Thor though.

I did not get any answers that I could fin don the other posting.  I am not a firstimer!

shoepatcher

1 hour ago, shoepatcher said:

I did not get any answers that I could fin don the other posting.  I am not a firstimer!

shoepatcher

Merged the 2 threads

Tom

thank you.

shoepatcher

We have a few sewing machine dealers here in Australia that market the Juki 441 style machine, not anything wrong with them that I am aware.   The problem if there is one is that the dealers themselves are not versed in leather work or saddlery and don't know the machines very well or the craft very well.   What then happens is people ring us....Cowboy Leather Machines to sort out their problems.   I have mixed feelings on it, on the one hand I don't mind helping but it does take a lot of time, there is the problem that people then think badly of dealers in general.... on the other hand new dealers have to start somewhere at some time.

Setting up a leather machine for yourself, and setting up machines for Customers are very different things.  It is far more challenging to set up a Customer's machine because you must have knowledge of all the different ways that a machine may malfunction, and address those before you ship.  After you ship, it's out of your reach, and you will have to diagnose those problems over the phone.  All the major Dealers here (including me) have developed these skills over time and experience.    

It's one thing to know how to set the timing on a machine.  It's another thing to be sitting on your couch at 9pm at home, no machine in front of you,  and be able to accurately describe how to set the timing on a machine a 1000 miles away.   All professional dealers can do this.  

HI Alexander, yes I agree with you, absolutely no argument from me.   We work the same way here in Australia, we try to anticipate what might be confusing or might go wrong and take steps to minimise.   I would say perhaps I delivery in 5 gets a phone call asking a question, other than that they are all set to go..... considering some of the customers have never had a sewing machine of any kind before that's pretty encouraging.   Cowboy Leather Machines has gone from a turnover of around $25,000 when we took over 3 years ago to about $400,000 this year so doing the right thing, offering good prices and backup and taking time to talk to people pays dividends for everyone.