CaptnCaptain

Durkopp 291 walking foot machines for sale (22)

Hi everyone,

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a walking foot industrial machine. I found a listing on Kijiji (Canada), and traveled there to pick up one of the 22 (twenty two) industrial machines that the company is selling. The price that they are asking is $200 cdn. :yeah:

Note: I have NO financial interest in these transactions. I'm posting the information as a potential connection for the members of these forums (who have given me much good and valuable information).

So, here's the scoop:

The machines are mostly Durkopp 291 walking foot units (there were also two Pfaff units there)

They are 3 phase machines running at 220v (60 cycles).

They require a pneumatic line to operate the foot lift, and some other functions.

There are no manuals. The operators of these machines are no longer at the factory....:o

There is no plug on the end of the cord (snipped off, probably were hard wired into the plant's electrical system).

According to Naresh (the manager who was my contact, these were all in running condition when removed from service).

One of the machines I looked at was missing the bobbin top (and parts for these are EXPENSIVE!) Inspect carefully for any missing bits!

I've gotten the one I purchased home and am cleaning it up and getting her going again. I'm currently waiting on a rotary phase converter ($300 US, with shipping). A harbor you know who cheapo compressor will provide air (I hope). Other pieces I've ordered: bobbins (they used preloaded bobbins), and a selection of needles. 

If you are interested in the machines, call or text Naresh : +1 (647) 459-0110, tell him that Marty gave you his contact info.

The machines are located at:

Dynasty Furniture Manufacturing, Ltd. 6830 Columbus Rd, Mississauga, ON L5T 2G1, Canada

Other notes: If crossing from the US like I did, DON'T use the "Rainbow Bridge". The border guard was VERY grumpy about me using that crossing for a business related trip. He gave me a warning and said I could be fined. Nice welcome back to the US of A! 

The third pic is of the machine I bought, after some cleaning.

Anyone who knows anything about the control modules, please let me know. Have not found anything online about those yet. The module I have says "Durkopp v720" on the front, and "Dz101" on the back. Will post this question in a more appropriate forum eventually.

Durkopp group pic 1.jpg

Durkopp group pic 2.jpg

Durkopp 291 1b.jpg

Congratulations on your new acquisition! That control panel is really an EFKA V720 with a Durkopp Adler logo on it.

Here's the manual for the Efka V720 control panel: EN_BA_V720_7_7__210995.pdf 

Thanks Uwe! 

Have the manual now...whether I understand it is another matter....Will take a bit to cogitate upon it...my familiarity with the terms is limited, which is making it more difficult to decipher. 

Luckily had help from my brother to unload the head out of my truck and into the shop. Whew! There is a lot of metal there!

I'm not planning any multiple item production sewing projects for awhile (just big boat canvas pieces), and will be VERY happy if I can just get the machine up and running. There are little pneumatic lines that run up into the machine. Will need to replace some or all of them, as the plastic seems to have reached it's age limit (one little Y broke off), and the connection to the air/oil metering unit also snapped off (that one was on a swaged connection, of an undetermined thread size fitting).

Edited by CaptnCaptain

Do you have a link to the listing for these? I'm interested but what have to have it shipped. Likely still be worth it at this price. I did a search on Kijiji for them and came up empty.

It's Kijiji Ad ID:  1331543311

I'd be surprised if they wanted to bother with shipping.

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 9.58.22 AM.png

3 hours ago, Uwe said:

I'd be surprised if they wanted to bother with shipping.

If they do offer shipping, I am betting it will come unwrapped and bouncing around inside its very own crate or cardboard box.

Do not buy sight unseen!
    many are missing important parts you will need to go over the machines there yourself. I was the first there and grabbed 2 of the nicer ones but there was still plenty of "good" ones.

@CaptnCaptain check my latest thread about converting without a converter :D

So, tried running the machine at 220v single phase...motor hummed but no go....(and a mild smell of electrical magic escaping :o)

Looks like I'm going to try a static phase converter...(found one to hopefully pickup this weekend off craigslist).

Here's a couple pics of the motor/electronic wiring connection. I'd disconnected the red wire (L3), and also disconnected the electronics for a motor test. I also took the belt off the pulley for least resistance on the motor.

Durkopp wiring 2.JPG

Durkopp wiring 1.JPG

10 hours ago, CaptnCaptain said:

So, tried running the machine at 220v single phase...motor hummed but no go....(and a mild smell of electrical magic escaping :o)

Three-phase motors cannot, will not, start themselves without something on the third leg. A static converter is just a capacitor that applies a voltage on L3 that is phase-shifted enough to get the motor started. It doesn’t really contribute much to the output of the motor, hence the de-rating in output. As you likely already know, any single-phase on-board accessories must be connected to the terminals fed from line voltage, not the one fed from the capacitor. 

Thanks! Looks like I'm going to try a static phase converter to start an old 3 phase motor, and then take power off of that...seems the least expensive way to go.

We should really continue the power conversion discussion in the topic below:

I’m curious, it looks like some of the 291’s have the external control panel and some do not.  Is the control panel required for the machine to operate?  Or does it give you some additional specific controls?

Have any of you considered using a VFD instead of a rotophase?

I’m considering one of these machines but really curious about the functionally without the main control panel.  The one I was looking at only has the four buttons (one is a back tack feature I believe) above the needle bar. 

0DFF74BA-DB8F-46BE-A7D3-FB827787B06E.jpeg

Ended up with two of these that seemed in quite good nick.   Both have the aux control panel and the larger knuckle on the head.

For anyone else interested there seems to be two main variations of the machines, those with the Efka controller pad and those without.  The ones without the pad had more options on the control board itself, but likely have less functions overall.

We’ll see once it’s all plugged in, going to attempt static phase converter route.

While there are quite a few machines left but many are missing bobbin cases or have play in the needle bar.  

Some machine heads had been matched with motors and controls that weren’t original and while they may work just be careful what you’re getting.

I would have been tempted to pick up some heads for parts but they don’t have any flexibility in price between machines regardless of condition.... at least right now.

72D07BF0-843C-41DA-BEBA-C49C4BFDA953.jpeg

Nothing like this ever comes up near me. I'm always looking, but.....

6 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Nothing like this ever comes up near me. I'm always looking, but.....

Nothing like ANYTHING ever comes up within 5000kms of where I am, so you are luckier than some! :(

I would love to get a deal, like those offered on some of the scrap/offcuts/surplus to requirement hides and hardware etc that I see on these pages.

3 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Nothing like ANYTHING ever comes up within 5000kms of where I am, so you are luckier than some! :(

I would love to get a deal, like those offered on some of the scrap/offcuts/surplus to requirement hides and hardware etc that I see on these pages.

Touche'

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, bikermutt07 said:

My bad. A company that is only 4000kms away has offered some great bargains. I can see some croc back straps in my immediate future. Thank you Birdsalls Leather!