Hello Everyone!

Brand new newbie here. I'm a firefighter and I'm trying to get into making the helmet shields for those retiring or leaving to go somewhere else. They make awesome gifts. 

Which brings me to my request, is there anybody out there that has a template that I can print out in order to get a 100% symmetrical and accurate shield? The ones my department lent me are old and pretty misshapen. 

Also open to any and all advice from anyone willing to help out.

If you made it this far, thank you for reading and I hope to hear from you all.

If you don’t get any responses feel free to contact me. I can make one for you in Adobe Illustrator and email it over.  The only reason why I hesitate is that I have no idea what something like that would involve or the dimensions so you would need to fill me in on the details.  May take some trial and error time. 

Ive seen them around the forum so I know that someone should have something ready made and willing to help a firefighter. 

I don't have a template. But, maybe you could use this trick?

Take a manilla folder and trace have of your pattern pieces on one side. Cut them out and fold the cut sides over and trace them. Then cut out the rest. If you take your time this will give you that symmetry you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

As Bmutt said.

Start out with one of your older misshapen shields, but try to get one that is at least half decent.

Trace around the good half, fold and copy the good half.

Cut out a good symmetrical shield.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:47 PM, Lucky1rish said:

Hello Everyone!

Brand new newbie here. I'm a firefighter and I'm trying to get into making the helmet shields for those retiring or leaving to go somewhere else. They make awesome gifts. 

Which brings me to my request, is there anybody out there that has a template that I can print out in order to get a 100% symmetrical and accurate shield? The ones my department lent me are old and pretty misshapen. 

Also open to any and all advice from anyone willing to help out.

If you made it this far, thank you for reading and I hope to hear from you all.

Welcome, I pulled the one off my helmet since it’s good and traced it on graph paper. This gave me the basic outline and then tweaked it from there. 

I haven’t made it yet, need to find my pattern or make another one. 

So, I wanted to thank everyone for the tips and advice and thought I'd share an update. 

I've successfully made a template and cut out what will be, the front and back parts of the shield. 

Below is the front. I'm trying just a basic shield this go around to try to get a feel for the entire process. 

20180226_212518~2.jpg

On 2/27/2018 at 6:06 AM, JerseyFirefighter said:

Best of luck. If you ever need, I sell pre-cut blanks in 2 different styles. Less time cutting, more time tooling. 

are you still offering the pre-cut blanks?