Sign in to follow this  
Beaverslayer

A Beaverslayer Trick

Beezachopper gave me this idea. He asked how I did it on a hat brim, and said he wanted to try it on a seat.

So I tried it myself, and took pics along the way to explain how it's done.

I hope you enjoy.

And Beeza, I think with your talent you will be able to create a seat that will be worth that $1800.00 you mentioned in another post.

Use an odd number of laces. Start on the bottom of your piece, and pull lace through until the tail is short enough to cross over to the other side holes. Glue the tails down.

DSCF0199.JPG

On the front side you now have your 5 laces. From the starting point, count 5 holes on the outer side of holes, and pull each lace trough to back.

DSCF0200.JPG

Here you see how the lace starts on the front.

DSCF0201.JPG

Then go back one hole and pull your lace trough to the front.

DSCF0202.JPG

One the front, pull your lace one at a time. Start by going UNDER then OVER, etc. Then through the hole. On the starting leg, be sure to leave the first hole empty. You will pull the first lace through the 7th. hole from where you started.

DSCF0203.JPG

This shows you to go back and through the hole, to the front.

DSCF0204.JPG

Here's what the finished weave looks like. You can use your imagination and come up with all sorts of different patterns. By using more laces you can make a tighter weave as well.

DSCF0205.JPG

This is the backside showing the splices that I make. I only pull about 4' of lace at a time, this makes it a whole lot easier to work with, as your laces are'nt getting all tangled together.

DSCF0206.JPG

Well I hope this helps, and if you have any questions...feel free to ask.

Ken

post-1605-1181512533_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1181512572_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1181512593_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1181512635_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1181512658_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1181512676_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1181512697_thumb.jpg

post-1605-1181512715_thumb.jpg

erm can you run that past me one more time i got lost at the second picture, LOL it looks good though, but dam im confused

thanks for the lesson ken.

i should have done some playing when i did my seat

Dude that's freakin awsome. Thanks for takin the time to write it up and add pic. Pics help so so much.

How long did it take you to lace it ?

Thanks a lot freak. It took a bit more than 3 hours to lace.

I have just finished the tooling of the snake and skulls, so as soon as the batteries are charged up, I'll upload a pic of that.

Ken

Thanks a lot freak. It took a bit more than 3 hours to lace.

I have just finished the tooling of the snake and skulls, so as soon as the batteries are charged up, I'll upload a pic of that.

Ken

Looks really good. Will be watching for more pictures.

Stephanie

Here's the seat with the tooling done. I should be getting the pan tomorrow, so once I'm finished I'll upload more pics.

Ken

DSCF0208.JPG

post-1605-1181543066_thumb.jpg

any particular reason you laced before you tooled?

Wolven,

The main reason I laced before the tooling, is that I really wanted to see what it was going to look like, if I wasn't pleased I would have taken out the lacing and tried something different. I also wanted to be sure that, with the stretch of the leather with the tooling, that it didn't distort the shape of the lace pattern.

In the past, I have punched holes for lacing, then tooled and found that some of the holes I had previously punched mysteriously moved to another location. So by lacing first it seems to help this phenominum a bit.

Ken