Finished this one up today, not my best work, had lots of things I wasn't happy with.  This is version 2, Version 3 is slated for an IPad cover for a customer, so I wanted to get some practice in to perfect things a bit.  Version 1 never even got to the dye stage.  Oye.

Heavy Campbell's Satin Laid linen thread.  All kinds of different dyes, leathers, antiques and finishes.

CrossBinder10LoRes.jpg.6ffdaeb8036a90641c4bfacd041c568c.jpg

CrossBinder6LoRes.jpg.f4246f350af45fd80dc99fe7514f1d6e.jpg

CrossBinder8LoRes.thumb.jpg.0cf6609fc58405551a06df9421dd9734.jpg

CrossBinder3LoRes.thumb.jpg.e68e403c5292f49170a14deefec6ede2.jpg

CrossBinder9LoRes.thumb.jpg.ec72ff7065a2b671141adfe5305b0de6.jpg

YinTx

It looks perfect to me.

Very very nice!

i love that cream colored thread. I use it a lot

2 hours ago, JKHelms said:

Very very nice!

i love that cream colored thread. I use it a lot

Thank you.  Might be the camera, the lighting, or your monitor, but that is actually a bright yellow thread.  I have a cream thread that looks good against brown also, and use it a lot as well.

5 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

It looks perfect to me.

Thanks, Mutt.  my stitching wasn't up to my normal standards, and my figure beveler work wasn't so good - this was a really stiff dense leather, so I was having a bit of a time getting a smooth look around the cross.  You can see the impressions a bit too well there.  Ah well, the third version was better!

YinTx

Did you try smoothing the bevel with a spoon?

I still think it looks perfect.

21 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Did you try smoothing the bevel with a spoon?

I made a feeble effort.  As mentioned, this was pretty dense stiff stuff.  Perhaps I should have gotten a bigger spoon from the kitchen.  :P

(Get a bigger hammer philosophy)

On version 3, I used a less dense leather, and used the large smooth figure beveler as a spoon to smooth.  We'll see how it looks when it comes time to take photos. Thats usually when I see all my big mistakes that didn't stand out in standard light and zoom.  :wacko:

YinTx

Looks quite dandy to me!

Looks nice to me.

I see the bevel goes way out.  But I know one thing I have done to help smooth is after i bevel with the mallet and tool. I will just take the beveling stamp and if its a smooth bevel I will take the bevel and kind tilt it one way and drag it along to smooth it out.  Not sure that makes sense.  But its does work well.

Is the hinge spliced in between the inner and outer covers? Any chance you have a close up of that? I'm with the Mutt....I think it looks great.

1 hour ago, Rossr said:

Looks nice to me.

I see the bevel goes way out.  But I know one thing I have done to help smooth is after i bevel with the mallet and tool. I will just take the beveling stamp and if its a smooth bevel I will take the bevel and kind tilt it one way and drag it along to smooth it out.  Not sure that makes sense.  But its does work well.

I think that is kinda what I did on version 3.  It is a bit better I think...

1 hour ago, Fire88 said:

Looks quite dandy to me!

Thanks much!

10 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Is the hinge spliced in between the inner and outer covers? Any chance you have a close up of that? I'm with the Mutt....I think it looks great.

The spine is two pieces of leather, the outer cow veg tan and the inner is a veg tan ( I think) pig liner.  Soft and stretchy though.  These two are sandwiched between the outside tooled layer and the inside smooth layers of veg tan.  I did a bit of a skive to help out there, but the results aren't something I was really proud of.  I keep wanting to put the spine on the outside of the cover, but I have a mental block about it.  I keep thinking the stresses aren't right and the spine has to be on the inside of the covers to keep from pulling on the stitching, and I don't have my mind set on how to make sure the spine sets on the outside of the cover right after I've tooled it.  And I don't like the lump on the inside, so I compensated by putting the sandwich in.  Still not happy with the results, but it works.

20180213_230536.thumb.jpg.3b3fc4afca9d075622adca73647566e9.jpg

YinTx

It's difficult to see one's own work objectively.  Either that, or it is true that we tend to be our own worst critics.   I will be tickled when I can get my stitching to look so good.  

Absolutely beautiful. Striving for total perfection is laudable but I've never attained it so far in my lifetime. My leather craft is like me in GOD'S eyes: A work in progress :)

Sam

16 hours ago, ComputerDoctor said:

Absolutely beautiful. Striving for total perfection is laudable but I've never attained it so far in my lifetime. My leather craft is like me in GOD'S eyes: A work in progress :)

Sam

Wow, thanks!

And I feel the same way about my craft as you do about yours.  

YinTx